Hardwood vs Pine Windows and Sourcing

bamboozled

I've been doing research on windows for a new build.

The carlson/vrogrum/swedex ones look fine and would suit the style of what I'm looking for. (traditional look but not sash).

I would like a painted finish.

I understand that teak would last better than pine..... so was thinking of getting a local joinery to make up teak windows...

Does anyone have experience of this and if so how did it work out very expensive pricewise vs buying from larger company and how was the quality of finish.

Would appreciate any thoughts you might have.
Thanks
Bamboozled.

Bamboozeled,

Have just gone through this exact process. We weighed up a local joinery who'd do teak windows for our 3000sq ft house against Vrogum and Swedex whos product is heartwood pine. The local joinery had a nice product (we visited reference sites) but the downside was it would cost us 40k approx for supply and delivery. We went with Swedex in the end. Beautiful product (black on the outside / white on the inside) - reasonable price 27k! but BEWARE!! - They're a nightmare to deal with: Long leadtime (12 weeks) and unbelievably they insist on 50% with the order and 50% on delivery - they told us they wouldn't unload the lorry unless we had a bank draft for the full amount on the day of delivery. On top of this they measured up 2 windows incorrectly. Luckily we have a rothweiler for a builder who gave them serious abuse and I suppose in the end we have a product which is the making of our house in terms of design and aesthetics. I'd recommend the product but if your doing the build yourself be prepared for some toe to toe shouting matches - otherwise get a builder like ours whos used to dealing with this kind of sharp practice

Arasain,
Thanks for that information. I had a feeling that a local joinery would probably be more expensive, but hadn't banked on that much! I would have thought the final payment could have waited until the windows were installed (in case of misfit etc). did swedex fit them or did you get your builder to do so?
Thanks
Bamboozled

Bamboozled,
Swedex fitted them. My builder snagged the job afterwards and there's a few things he's not happy with but it's going to be difficult to get them back when all the money's paid up.

In 2003 I had some lovely windows made for a cottage in hardwood by a joinery shop in Callan, Co Kilkenny. The charge at the time was about €330 per sq metre.

The windows were a chunky very heavy hardwood not the delicate pine look you get with SOME of the sweedex

pic of windows attached. all square panes open out.

[broken link removed]

Arasain,
Thanks. for that. I will see if any of the other suppliers can wait for a percentage of the payment until the architect gives the final nod or make sure the builder is on site when they are being installed to keep an eye.

Davidoco,
That looks like a really good price. I think I'll pay a visit to my local joinery look at their product and get a ballpark number. At least that way would know once and for all what quality/ value for money would be.

Isn't it amazing how much decision making goes into every little detail. I think you could make a full time job out of sourcing all the bits and pieces for houses these days.

Bamboozled

The best people to deal with in terms of a max 10 week delivery time for sliding sash timber windows are Bereco in Athlone. We had our windows installed recently and they only asked us for 30% dep of the final amount. We didn't have to pay all the costs until they were fitted, i think it was a 30/50/20% split something like that.
Anyway, dual colour, Gardenia on outside and Walnut interior, they were a dream compared to other issues we've had with building ourselves.
Ours are redwood which is a Scandinavian Pine, same warranties applied as to the hardwood so we choose this at was less expensive.

Hi Timber Lover, welcome to AAM. In accordance with the , could you confirm whether you have any interest in the above company other than as a satisfied customer?
Thanks,
Leo

Hi Leo

Thank you for your note, a relation of my husband works there. They supplied us with lovely windows and we have recommended them to other people.

Back