Hardwood (patio) decking

nemesis2001

Thinking of getting wooden decking for the back garden in ournew house. Some people keep telling us that is a wrong think todo as they attract rodent etc. Searched th enet and did not find anything that would suggest this.

Can anyopne give a rough estimate as tohow much woud a 3.5x3.5 meters cost. I know the place needs tobe inspected but woud just like toknow if we can afford it.
TIA

I've put down my own deck and in the 5 years it's been down I've never had a problem with rodents, probably because our cat prefers to bring them indoors!

Carpenter said:
I've put down my own deck and in the 5 years it's been down I've never had a problem with rodents, probably because our cat prefers to bring them indoors!

What if one cannot have a cat?

Hi ,

I built my own deck 2 years ago and havent had any problems with rodents and i live in the midlands with fields upon fields surrounding the house.....

My deck is 6m x 7m and it cost me 1050 to buy the stuff myself......i got quotes though of 3500 - 4000 from 2 chippies......its simple to do it yourself.....many diy stores sell "How to build decking books"....

Thanks very much for the info

Hardwood decking is the only job. It will go grey after a year or so. put some oil on to prevent this (teak oil or Danish oil) try Abbey Woods they got a tropical hardwood called Weingi (think that's how you spell it)018393435 make sure you use stainless steel screws so they dont rust. Price is around €32 inc vat.

Hi

Morgans timber in the Dublin Quays is a good source of all rough sawn hardwoods and knowledgeable staff, they have 'Yellow Balau' decking, don't know anything about it but it could be nice...

Cheers
Joe

I was going to put down timber decking but I was advised against it. I'm waiting for Trex to come down to a reasonable price and then I'll get it. Maintenance free !!

blarney

I live right in the midlands. Bog one side - fields on the other. Have a deck to the mobile while building house. At first i was pretty clueless. Brought a book, priced around for the materials. Eventually got them from a timber merchant outside kilmeague. Cost for 8 feet by 8 feet was 200euro. It was raised up off the ground about 2 feet. Took me one and half days to do it all up. Banisters, stairs etc. Brought the DIY book from BBQ to help me in this decking. Its an ok book. It was a throughly enjoyable experience and its very easy. Just measure it twice and cut once!

regards kildarebuild

Blarney said:
I was going to put down timber decking but I was advised against it. I'm waiting for Trex to come down to a reasonable price and then I'll get it. Maintenance free !!

blarney
Blarney, what arguments did you get against the decking?