Hard drive recognition.

horse

Hi Folks,
I recently added a new hard drive to my PC and when I go into "view system information" it is listed underneath the origional hard drive. The origional drive size is 250gig and the additional drive is a 200 gig. When I click on "my computer" and look at the hard disc drives it doesn't include the new addition.
Any suggestions.
Regards,
Horse.

Are you sure that you installed it correctly - e.g. set master/slave/cable select jumpers appropriately especially if both drives are on the one IDE channel (assuming it's not Serial ATA)? See this guide for more info. If possible keep each hard drive as master on a separate IDE channel as this will generally yield better performance than keeping both on a single channel.

Did you partition and format the new drive? Maybe this is why it appears under system information but not in Windows Explorer/File Manager?

Did you partition and format it after installation? If it appears in the system information view but not as a usable drive/volume under Windows Explorer then it sounds to me like it's installed OK but simple not partitioned and/or formatted appropriately. Did you follow all of the installation instructions included with the drive?

Back