hard disk dvd recorder/chorus

horatio1

Bought A hard disk dvd recorder and assumed it would work the way video used to.But from any advice I can get on the matter it seems I can only record what I am watching because I have Chorus digital.Anyone know a soloution?

Because you have to decode the digital signal, you can only record whatever decoded signal comes out of the box. This would be the same situation if you used a VCR. Not sure if there is any way around this, maybe getting a second decoder especially for the DVD Recorder.

thanks jim,
Will get onto the friendly helpfull people in chorus and see if it is an option.

I was just considering buying a DVD recorder. Will I have the same problem with NTL Digital? I know nothing about this.

Bought A hard disk dvd recorder and assumed it would work the way video used to.But from any advice I can get on the matter it seems I can only record what I am watching because I have Chorus digital.Anyone know a soloution?
You shouldnt have a problem recording from your Chorus box and u certainly shouldnt have to watch it while recording-it just means u have not set it up properly-in my experience u will find the answer in the manual.In my case I had to go into the setup menu and turn the decoder "on" in that menu -where for some reason "off" was default.I will admit it took a long time to figure out

I was just considering buying a DVD recorder. Will I have the same problem with NTL Digital? I know nothing about this.

NTL Digital will work with your DVD Recorder just as it did with your video, ie you can only record the digital channel you are watching. But as long as you have your analogue channels as well you're fine, you can watch any of them while recording a programme on digital.

I'm a bit of a novice in this area but is this not a huge step back if this is the case? Is there no way with digital cable to record something other than what you are watching? Is the same the case for digital satellite? Sounds a bit mad to me!!

I'm a bit of a novice in this area but is this not a huge step back if this is the case? Is there no way with digital cable to record something other than what you are watching? Is the same the case for digital satellite? Sounds a bit mad to me!!

all the digital channels are on the one channel on your television unlike analogue ones which have their own channel number for each.

hence you can only record what you are watching.

solution is - get a second digibox.

Back