HAP to be increased by up to 35%!

Hardly! That’s just TV soundbite speak. They have well-educated workforces in their own countries.
Yes, and they are employed there too.
It wasn’t our brilliant education system that attracted multinationals here in the 1950s and 1960s such as, inter alia, Liebherr (1958) Leo Laboratories (1959), Warner-Lambert (1960), General Electric (1963) and Pfizer (1969).
Tiny levels of employment and output in comparison to what we have now and those companies, as I pointed out previously, were generally lower tech than the ones we have now. What we had then was very cheap labour relative to the mainland and Britain.
It was and still is incentives offered by the IDA, lack of “red tape” and low corporate taxes.
Yes, but without the workforce they couldn't come here. We certainly don't have a "world class" education system but it's generally sufficient for our needs.
In the 1960s, FDI delivered 70% of new employment and 90% of increased exports in transportable goods.
Yes, again, in a much smaller country with low levels of employment growth.
The MNCs came and better education followed.
True.
People often regard the future as the same as today or the same as the past. Social housing doesn’t have to be as it was in the past.

Because of the chronic shortage of social housing people are forced into the private market, where they cannot afford to either buy or rent.
Ever-increasing government subsidies completely distorts the property market.
People should be in the private market. Social housing and welfare in general is a necessary evil. If the economy and society was functioning properly people could afford to buy or rent their own home. The need for social housing is a symptom of a different problem.
Privatizing what is a social obligation never works.
Yes it does, as long as the State can regulate and enforce standards properly. If it doesn't work that's a reflection of dysfunctionality by the State. An efficient and well run State can ensure the efficient delivery of services. Belgium has the best public healthcare system in Europe. It is publicly funded and largely privately delivered. Whether the State delivers housing directly or by funding private delivery is irrelevant. What matters is the structures and standards they use and their ability to enforce and police those standards.
The housing budget whatever it might be, has to have a purpose. At the moment it is like the proverbial eight-legged camel with little direction and insupportable gaps in both knowledge and accountability.

With such a paucity of basic information, one wonders about the value of Dáil debates and Oireachtas committees. What can they possibly be talking about and how can they possibly arrive at appropriate solutions?
Out State sector is structurally incompetent. That's at the root of many of our issues, be it healthcare or housing. No amount of money will fix those structural inefficiencies.

Reactions: jpd
Further to @Mocame's point regarding a deduction of rent at source, this is the reply dated 8 February 2022 from the Private Secretary to the Housing Minister relating to this letter from Louise Ryan DCC Audit Committee regarding the accumulation of €37m rent arrears and the commencement of section 53.

“The Department is cognisant of the consistent problems arising as a result of rent arrears across the country. While it is acknowledged that a (direct) deduction at source facility would have the potential to prevent rent arrears arising in the first instance, such a facility relies on the development and implementation of a national standardised rents system.

Housing for All and the Programme for Government commit to introducing a standardised national differential rents system to ensure, among other things, fairness for tenants across all local authority areas. The Department is currently considering several alternatives to the current system of the different local authority rent schemes and expects to bring proposals to Government for consideration in Q2 2022.

A working group has been established, with representatives from the Department, the Department of Social Protection, the LGMA and the CCMA, to examine the feasibility of introducing a system of direct deduction from source for local authority rent payments. The matter is still being considered by the working group.”

While the aspiration to achieve a standardized national differential rents system is laudable, it should not prevent the commencement of section 53. Without that section, local authorities cannot effectively manage arrears.

Trying to develop a cohesive factual analysis of all this data is way beyond my capabilities, there are more contradictions in the "facts" than a Trump rally, but as we all know it's a mess, its expensive, and based on the strategic plans the government has its never going to be solved.
Perhaps if you concentrate on what if knowable first and then attack what is not as yet known.
If you try to do both, you will melt your brain.

Last edited:
Perhaps if you concentrate on what if knowable first and then attack what is not as yet known.
If you try to do both, you will melt your brain.
Thanks Dude,I'll take a bit of time to un- scramble my brain and perhaps do " highlights " but business analysis is my skill and I'd never walk into a presentation or meeting without knowing the reality of a situation.

And your 100% correct its head wrecking, last week between Graduation dinners etc didn't get a clear run at it .

I have learnt a lot about the issue but it does seem worthless given the narrative that isn't going to change.

Anyhoo shes away on business for 10 days so, I'll only have me and the cat to feed......and I'll start the amalgamation of the "known knows "

Again thanks for the encouragement

Look at the figures for uncollected rents and debts in Dublin City council in the region of 30 - 40 million euros. The councils ran away from it for a reason and were only too happy to have a burden taken off them via HAP and private landlords, dealing with tenants and expensive maintenance of older housing stock.
Further to this point.

In South Dublin 56% of all tenants in arrears, at an average rent of 55 euro per week.

It shouldn't happen that any tenant could owe that much _ take the payment at source or if you cant do that evict for non payment! It's a small enough amount they're asked for! Should be dealt with straight away once arrears start

Back