Hamburg

bluetoff

Has anyone here ever been to Hamburg, does it come recommended as a city break destination, if so any hotel recommendations.

Spent a day there as a tourist in June - thought it was an utter waste of time. Hamburg is a big, sprawling, mostly ugly port city (think Waterford or Cork on a grander scale) but in my opinion offers little for tourists, unless you're into red-light stuff.

Lubeck (to which Ryanair flies on their "Hamburg" route) is in contrast a delightful, historic and friendly place, which I would heartily recommend for a short city break.

Depends on what you fancy. Hamburg is a bit "gritty", I guess a typical port town. Boasts the famous Raiperbahn district (not one to bring the wife to on a romantic weekend) and a lively pub scene in inner city.

If you are going to have a long night in Hamburg, make sure to finish it off in the Fischmarkt, the fish market which opens approx 5 am. Many revellers will finish off their night with a herring washed down with some local Korn schnapps.

In my opinion, Hamburg is more a destination for a weekend away with the lads, rather than a family or romantic destination.

Ubquitous is right about Lubeck from what I hear, apparently famed for its Christmas market, which probably runs from November.

Back