Halloween and the recession.

SlurrySlump

Last year our grandaughter returned home from "Trick or Treating" with some of those Haribo sweets wrapped up in toilet paper. Not even a full packet but a few miserable sweets.
Is the recession really that severe?

I was always amazed years ago at the stuff that the kids would get. A lot of the stuff was out of date or the fruit was rotten.

These days the kids don't want fruit, sweets or money are the preferred option.

They get nothing from our house

We're hiding from the TV license inspector :eek:
The door goes unanswered

There has been a serious reduction in the number of fireworks going off in the run-up to Halloween. It will be interesting to see what Halloween night itself will be like. A couple of years ago, looking out my window was like a scene from a war zone.

Last year our grandaughter returned home from "Trick or Treating" with some of those Haribo sweets wrapped up in toilet paper. Not even a full packet but a few miserable sweets.
Is the recession really that severe?

How fancy :D

What’s with this trick or treating anyhow? Its not an Irish Halloween tradition and never was. My wife was home last night but was afraid to answer the door after dark in case it wasn’t the cute kids in costume but some knackery teenagers looking for money. She was alone in the house and in my opinion did the right thing.
Bonfires are another Halloween tradition that isn’t. It’s an import of the Guy Fawkes traditional bonfire from England. Hope the adults who were “supervising” the two blazes either side of the Dart line in Kilbarrack last night were aware of the fine British tradition they were keeping up. Bonfire night in Ireland is June 21st
There are plenty of Irish traditions for Halloween that never seem to have gone east of the Shannon...
M

What’s with this trick or treating anyhow? Its not an Irish Halloween tradition and never was.
M

Not true, trick or treating is an old tradition, going back generations.

Traditionally, you could be asked to perform a song to get your "treat", and a household that refused you treat, could expect a "trick" ie an egg on the door.

When I was a kid (80s), we certainly did "go round the doors" but we said "help the halloween party". Bonfires have always been a part of Halloween for me. Slightly off topic, but it was strange to see a Halloween themed show (Strictly) on BBC at the weekend, since they don't do much about it all normally. Friends who've lived in the UK tell me it's hardly celebrated at all. Guy Fawkes is obviously their big thing.

When I was a kid (80s), we certainly did "go round the doors" but we said "help the halloween party". Bonfires have always been a part of Halloween for me.

+1, but for me it was the 70s :eek:.

I remember watching Roseanne on TV about 20 years ago and chuckling at how over the top their depiction was of Halloween.

Now you can see it in most Irish suburbs.

We attended a Dublin City Council fireworks display in Kilbarrack on Sunday evening. One may complain about public money being used for such a purpose but the 100s of adults and kids who turned up to watch it might disagree. It was excellent.

Was at my sisters the other night and she had a huge amount of kids call to the door.. At one stage the bags of stuff she had ran out. I went into the kitchen to make some more up, told the kids at the door, with their parents to give me a minute while I made them up. Came back and one of the kids says "You took ******* ages mister". All this from a little 5 year old kid and his parents never blinked an eye. Little ********. Rant over :)

Bonfires are another Halloween tradition that isn’t. It’s an import of the Guy Fawkes traditional bonfire from England. Hope the adults who were “supervising” the two blazes either side of the Dart line in Kilbarrack last night were aware of the fine British tradition they were keeping up. Bonfire night in Ireland is June 21st
There are plenty of Irish traditions for Halloween that never seem to have gone east of the Shannon...
M

Bonfire night in Skerries was always May 1st although that, like many other traditions seems to have 'gone west' so to speak..

Back