Halifax visa debit card

P

peelaaa

Hi, is Halifax the only bank in ireland to offer a visa debit card?

I would be interested to know this also. That was one of the claims they made when asking me to switch my current account.

Halifax are the only ones, i have been searching for one, the card can be accepted be taken anywhere that takes a visa, ie booking flights etc. its the best idea yet, its the same as a laser that is you are only spending your own money that you actually have, but can still avail of all the places that take VISA

Only problem i see with it is, how long is it before the payment is taken from your card, Laser is abt 3 days, a Visa i would imagine would be longer, which could result in over drawing, or payments being returned unpaid with heavy penalties!

As far as I know the transaction is authorised against your current account balance, the balance is reduced and, a few days later, the transaction shows up on your statement. You can't spend the money during that period because it's already spent.

The same applies when you use your Halifax Debit card in another Irish ATM - your balance is reduced by the amount you take out but the transaction doesn't show up on your statement for 3-4 days.

Yes, Halifax are the only bank that offer this service unfortunately. Charges come off your balance immediately and it's actually a fantastic product.

I really wish other Banks would cop on. Although, the fees for Laser probably have something to do with that.

I have both a Halifax Visa debit card and a Visa credit card. I rarely use my credit card because Halifax online banking is very limited for credit cards, in that you can only see your balance and not individual transactions. At least with the debit card the transactions are itemised. On average it takes anywhere from 3 - 10 working days for a transaction to appear online, but if you keep an eye on the available balance it usually changes to reflect recentish uses of the card.

I have yet to use the Debit card outside of Ireland so I can't vouch for that aspect of it but I have had a bit of trouble using my credit card in Europe, America and Asia because of its shape, the debit card is the same shape.

One of the girls I live with asked in BOI the other day about getting a Visa debit card. The woman serving her told her there was no such thing in an "are you stupid" kind of way.. Ireland's banking system, wonderful....

Yep, I'll be signing up to the Halifax current account offer and the Visa debit card is part of the deal. not sure about the stamp duty payable on these debit cards? surely it's not the same as a Visa credit card (€30)? anyone know for sure?

Back