Halifax Visa Debit Card & Travel

serotoninsid

There have been intermittent problems with this card ie. I think there have been about 4 occassions where a vendor couldnt process a transaction with this card. Last time was probably 6 months ago.

Anyway, just want to see if people are still having these problems? Particularly interested in finding out if they had issues when abroad. Going to South America for a month and this card will be my main source of funds - so don't need any surprises!

Used it in the US, not always succesful for point of sale transactions, some worked OK, some didn't, but the credit card I had for back up worked OK on those occasions. Should work OK with any ATM i'd imagine.

I had problems with this in Germany recently at a supermarket, the chip and pin machine could not recognise it due the the curve on the card. I thought this would be a once off but then I was in Stansted at the weekend and the ticket machine there would not accept it either.
Quite annoying really, you would expect Halifax to have ensured that the card was accceptable everywhere before introducing it.

Then again it was fine in Sri Lanka so there you go.

As Frank said the point of sale could be an issue but I have not had any issues at an ATM.

Had only one problem with it in Gatwick last week. Machine would not accept it.
Credit card worked OK so I dont think it has to do with the curved card.

Well, Its something that has been going on since its introduction - which is quite a while ago now. Was hoping they might be improving or even have the system fixed by now. The explanation I got from their CS before was that not all vendors had updated their visa terminals to allow the visa debit to work.
I've got no credit card as back up now so hopefully it won't let me down at the wrong time!

I'm getting one of these shortly, has there been any problems using it for online purchases. :(

I'm getting one of these shortly, has there been any problems using it for online purchases. :(

I have purchased many items online and had no problems with it. It has the 3 digit security code on the back so is accepted most places. Its so much better then the laser for online use which is the main reason I changed to Halifax.

Just back from S.America and although it worked fine in 95% of cash machines, the two times I tried to pay by credit card, the transaction was declined.

I have purchased many items online and had no problems with it. It has the 3 digit security code on the back so is accepted most places. Its so much better then the laser for online use which is the main reason I changed to Halifax.

ive heard Ulster bank in the next 3 or so months will start rolling out the visa debit card,
they are getting rid of the laser / maestro card,
i hear they will replace them over the coming year and a half for existing customers,
i plan to damage my laser card once they are released, to get the visa debit.
i hate laser so restrictive especially ulster banks one, no end of problems.

What is going on with Halifax VISA Debit Cards? Mine was declined in Dunnes Stores last Thursday. I called Halifax the following day and they told me it was a technical error. I tried to use it again in Debehams in Cork yesterday and it was declined. There is adequate funds in my account. I called them again and they said they would look into it. I am going on holidays in 2 weeks and am getting a bit worried abour whether I will be able to use this card abroad or not.

Back