Halifax Visa Debit Card & Car Hire

superdrog

Apologies if this gas been asked before.
I have a Halifax Visa Debit Card , Can this be used as deposit for car hire in Florida or do I have to use a credit card?

Hertz USA run a credit check when accepting debit cards - so this probably does not work if you do not have a US credit history

Would'nt have a US credit history. Is it not just a matter of them putting a "hold" on $xxx until the car is returned?

Is it possible to put a 'hold' on the money as you describe? Would they not have to take the money, and then repay the balance when when you return the car.
I would contact hertz US before you go to make sure.

Is it possible to put a 'hold' on the money as you describe? Would they not have to take the money, and then repay the balance when when you return the car.
I would contact hertz US before you go to make sure.
Thanks , I did that , here's the reply that I got from them. At most Hertz locations, debit cards (sometimes called check cards) issued under a VISA or Mastercard logo which draw funds directly from the cardholder’s account may be used to qualify for rental. However, prepaid or stored value cards which have a VISA or Mastercard logo are not accepted to qualify for rental. Debit cards must have available funds for the estimated amount of the rental charges plus a reasonable amount to cover any incidental charges in order to secure the rental. Both debit cards and prepaid or stored value cards issued under a VISA or Mastercard logo may be used as a form of payment when you return the vehicle. Please contact your local Hertz Reservations Office if you have a question about whether Hertz will accept a certain card.