Halifax online banking - current a/c set up as payment a/c on itself!

ClubMan

My Halifax online banking account had my current account set up so that the current account itself appeared as an account to which I could make payments. This seemed a bit odd but like Fr. Dougal and the big red button I could not resist the temptation to try it. When I attempted to transfer €1 from my current account to my current account it came up with some warning about additional security checks being necessary and that Halifax would contact me. I had visions of a klaxon going off in Dundalk and the staff all running around waving their hands in the air crying "we're all doomed...". Anybody know why they set the account up this way by default!? Seems odd?

Re: Halifax online banking - current a/c set up as payment a/c on current a/c

I have a current account and the online account.
I had a number of payments already set up from the current account.
It seems that when you set the online account up, by default, they add a payment to the current account and vice-versa.
I see all payments when I view them on either account.

I believe this is a software glitch on their part - it should filter the list depending on what account you are viewing.

I have a current account and the online account.
What do you mean by "online account"? The online account just gives you a view on whatever accounts (current, regular saver, FlexiSaver, credit card etc.) that you have with them.
It seems that when you set the online account up, by default, they add a payment to the current account and vice-versa.
I don't understand this either. What I was referring to was when I view my current account using their online banking it already has itself configured as a payment account which makes no sense. The payment accounts are configured specifically for the current account and not for the online account in general. Oddly enough I already had a Halifax regular saver account but it was not automatically configured as a payment account on the current account...

When I attempted to transfer €1 from my current account to my current account it came up with some warning about additional security checks being necessary and that Halifax would contact me. I had visions of a klaxon going off in Dundalk and the staff all running around waving their hands in the air crying "we're all doomed...". Anybody know why they set the account up this way by default!? Seems odd?

The alarm bells relate to an extra security measure. Halifax place a limit (€10K I think) on daily transfers if you go above that they call to confirm you are indeed the person authorising the withdrawal. It is a strange system that Halifax have. Clearly the system doesn't recognise that you are moving it from account A to account A. But the 10% interest just about makes up for it :D

I imagine that you've been moving your ample funds round Halifax and you've triggered the system. Though I'm sure you'll tell us the money was just resting in your account!!

The alarm bells relate to an extra security measure. Halifax place a limit (€10K I think) on daily transfers if you go above that they call to confirm you are indeed the person authorising the withdrawal. It is a strange system that Halifax have. Clearly the system doesn't recognise that you are moving it from account A to account A. But the 10% interest just about makes up for it :D

I imagine that you've been moving your ample funds round Halifax and you've triggered the system. Though I'm sure you'll tell us the money was just resting in your account!!
But I had the sum total of €11 in the account and tried to move €1 each to about five different accounts just to test that I had things set up correctly! :eek: Maybe it also triggers the check on a certain number of consecutive payments or when they represent some % of the total balance.

What do you mean by "online account"? The online account just gives you a view on whatever accounts (current, regular saver, FlexiSaver, credit card etc.) that you have with them.

I meant Flexi Saver account

I don't understand this either. What I was referring to was when I view my current account using their online banking it already has itself configured as a payment account which makes no sense. The payment accounts are configured specifically for the current account and not for the online account in general. Oddly enough I already had a Halifax regular saver account but it was not automatically configured as a payment account on the current account...

Replace the word "online" with Flexi Saver (ref previous error) and my statement will mean the same as you have just said.

But I had the sum total of €11 in the account and tried to move €1 each to about five different accounts just to test that I had things set up correctly! :eek: Maybe it also triggers the check on a certain number of consecutive payments or when they represent some % of the total balance.

Well from my experience you should find out the answer soon when the phone rings!
....Clubman phonecalls from the bank manager! Where did it all go wrong :p

I meant Flexi Saver account

Replace the word "online" with Flexi Saver (ref previous error) and my statement will mean the same as you have just said.
OK - thanks for that clarification.

Well from my experience you should find out the answer soon when the phone rings!
....Clubman phonecalls from the bank manager! Where did it all go wrong :p
I know - the embarrassment of it all. Next thing you know I won't be paying my TV license, will end up on heroin etc.

I had visions of a klaxon going off in Dundalk and the staff all running around waving their hands in the air crying "we're all doomed...".

Dundalk natives are made of tougher stuff than that.
Of course, if the staff are soft blow-ins from Dublin, then your scenario is probably accurate.......

Back