Halifax Credit Card..FREE 100 euro!

tonster01

Maybe this is me being nieve but could I just sign up for this, make one transaction get my 100 and cancel my card again?

[broken link removed]

See this Revenue FAQ on the switching procedure required to avoid multiple CC SD charges:

[broken link removed]

Ciao Clubman, I think you can ask for a letter of declaration to the bank that the stamp duty of april 2008 is paid in advance when you close the actual credit card you have with them and so Halifax won't charge you with 40 Eur on 1st april 2008... I remember doing this during my previous switch...

Sorry Clubman, you already considered this option on the switch... As always you are a lighthouse to us!

I have found the tesco credit card pays for itself long term and also at the moment they give you €40 euro in shopping vouchers straight off. Add to that 3 points for each €2 spent in tesco and 1 point for each €2 spend elsewhere it seems to pay for itself if you don't mind Tesco. Jara13

You mean people perish on my rocks?

Ahahahaha!

Re Tesco I thought about it but the problem is that where I live the local Tesco is too far away and I dont go there v. often... But I agree it's a good deal for Tesco customers!

Is it worth it?

Stamp duty is charged to the year ending in December?

Am I right with this assumption?

Sorry - you are correct. I was thinking of ATM/debit cards.

Stamp Duty on Financial Cards
[broken link removed]

But either way isn't this irrelevant since it will be collected sometime and if you switch cards and get a letter from your old CC provider then you won't pay on the double and get a "free" €100 from Halifax. If you retain another CC then you will pay on the double and effectively get a net €60 from Halifax. Free money - what's not to like about that?

Is it worth it?

Stamp duty is charged to the year ending in December?

Am I right with this assumption?

For me it's not worth it. As I prefer to have access to my transaction via internet banking I would have to switch c/a as well and I prefer to keep my on-line cred. card visibility...

Seems odd that getting the Halifax card, just making a single purchase to qualify for the €100 (€60 net if you allow for SD if you are not switching), and then withdrawing (not sure if cash advance charges apply to such withdrawals?) or spending the remainder is not worth it to some people.

I agree Clubman. i love getting free stuff. I've availed of the Ulster Bank offer €150 - treated myself, i've just aplied for the halifax credit card. I go for a good rate deposit savings account and a good rate monthly deposit account and when the offers ends i will probably move the money if there is a better offer. If not, I'll reduce my mortgage quicker. I've paid lots of bank charges over the years and its lovely to get something back. I remember when i was a student in my first week i opened three bank accounts to avail of free cash/ travel card etc. It's money for nothing- why not

On this when would you have to get rid of halifax card by to avoid being charged a second years stamp duty on it assuming I already have another visa I dont want to give up because of convenience with internet banking? Many thanks for any help!

You can't avoid the double SD charge if you take out this or any other CC while holding another one. You will be charged SD on closure of the account or else in April. But it's still a net €60 free for no real effort.

BOI say they can't issue me with the cert (showing i've paid the duty) until ten working days after account closure ...'due to legislation'. Does this have to be with Halifax by a certain time in order to avoid dual tax?

I'm not sure but I don't think so. I think that if you get it to them before next April then it should do but check with Revenue if in any doubt.