Halifax CC "free" €100 - any catch?

Just shows that the staff at the call centre don't really know the details.

Surprise surprise!

I double and triple check anything a call centre worker tells me.

In most cases the call centre worker is wrong...

Just got my Halifax cc & they gave me the 6 months option free and I want to change it to the free €100

They said they cannot do this and the only way I can do this is to cancel the card and reapply ?

Also I have to open up a current account to gain online access to view my account

Why did I not read the small print........

I applied on-line and after a week or so got approval by post, just need to supply proof of ID etc - but now I have been overcome by a degree of inertia. I bank with AIB and do everthing on-line, so it would be a pain not to be able to see my cc account on-line and pay on-line. I do tend to pay my bill off each month, so while the free €100 would be nice, I'm not sure it's worth it for me. Maybe I'm not cut out to be a credit card tart, mind you if AIB do something to annoy me I might change my mind.

I applied on-line and after a week or so got approval by post, just need to supply proof of ID etc - but now I have been overcome by a degree of inertia.
So why not just take the Halifax CC without switching and once you make a purchase with it you are €60 up (if you allow for the fact that €40 of your free €100 will eventually have to go on card stamp duty for the year)?

Clubman - "So why not just take the Halifax CC without switching and once you make a purchase with it you are €60 up (if you allow for the fact that €40 of your free €100 will eventually have to go on card stamp duty for the year)?"

Exactly what I am doing. will delight in getting €60 from Halifax.

I've got one about 2 minutes walk away from me so I might as well wander down and get my free €60.

Got my CC and was told that I can only view my transactions online if I open a current account so did this

Now told that you can only view the balance on your cc not the actual transactions ???

Fat lot of use that is for me

Is this correct ?

I was being given the the 6 months interest free deal when my card was being activated despite having clearly applied for the €100 deal. This only became clear once I asked her to confirm I was on the right deal - then she corrected it. Maybe i'm a natural cynic but probably standard practice?

I've overlapped in closing my old cc account and activating the new one - by 1 day. Is this going to leave me paying double card tax?