Halifax CC "free" €100 - any catch?

ClubMan

Re: Halifax cc application - they're very slow.

Has anybody availed of the "free" €100 offer on new Halifax CC applications? If you are not switching cards but taking out a new one then presumably €40 goes on the card stamp duty but is there any other catch to getting a €60 (or €100 if you are switching to them and ditching an old card) for free?

Was in with them at lunch time and they gave me the option of the €100 or the 6th months no interest took the latter

Not sure about stamp duty did not ask that

I assume they give you the €100 up front to make the offer a bit splashier and then they take €40 back from you on behalf of the revenue in April.

Well the €40 will certainly be payable one way or the other and more than once if you have more than one credit card at the same time in a single year.

what I meant is that not sure if they pay you €60 taken off the 40 charge

Said I would hear in 2 weeks lets just wait and see

I would imagine that they just give you the €100. I'm just saying that the net result is €60 if you don't switch lock stock and barrel to them for your CC and ditch any existing one that you have (e.g. I prefer to retain my PTSB VISA card for various reasons but wouldn't say no to a free €60 since I'm a big fan of taking free money from the banks wherever possible).

Hi

I too am thinking of changing to the Halifax card and have just been reading through the terms and conditions on the website. One item that caught my eye was their offer of a Card Protection Plan, 25e per year for single cover.

I rang up to enquire about this and they said that if you have it, they will cover up to 1700e if the card if used fraudulently (among other insurance type items). If you don't have the plan you are not covered for fraudulent use.

I have a Bank of Ireland card at the moment and as far as I am aware am covered if the card if used fraudulently. I don't pay anything extra for this cover. This would put me off the Halifax offer.

Money for old rope charging €25 for card protection. You should be covered for fraud regardless of paying the cover charge. Let me guess they charge you the €25 by default?

No, you have an option to buy it. I asked what would happen if you didn't have the CPP and the card was stolen and used fraudulently. I was told you wouldn't be covered.

Me too - read the terms & conditions to see what is and is not covered in the event of fraudulent use.

Just after applying online and noticed the card protection thing also. Are they on firm ground in offering this as an additional fee-based service when its what any customer would expect from a service provider in any event?

Terms and conditions for credit card [broken link removed]

See sections 7.2 & 7.3 for the terms relating to lost/stolen cards.

"Card Protection Plan provides cover against the inconvenience of losing your card and /or other important items at home and abroad. One call to CPP and they will arrange to cancel all of your cards and when abroad they will provide assistance in obtaining replacement travel tickets and providing emergency cash. We offer four levels of cover for both you and your household. Click here to view the details of these policies and if you would like to add this to your account please indicate below the cover you would like. This product is provided by CPP Group Plc and is optional."

Basically they want €25 for making a few calls which most people would be fully capable of making themselves in order to cancel their cards. I suppose some people would be gullible enough to sign up.

Have applied myself for this offer today.

I confirmed that the €100 is paid into the CC account on the cards first purchase.

Thanks for posting that info on the T & C in connection with the CCP. Just shows that the staff at the call centre don't really know the details.

I have just applied for the card too to get the 100e.

I didn't see anything in the T & C about a limit on the time that you keep the card. So it looks like you could use it once, get your 100e and then close it down?

I don't think I will do this but was just wondering if this was the case.........

C

I applied online for this card a while ago and got nothing in the post in spite of a call from them the other day telling me that I needed to send in additional info and that I would also get a letter about this. At least they stopped hassling me about an abortive application for their current account which I didn't follow through on. But only after they called me about 10 times and I kept telling them to stop.