halifax cc charging stamp duty for 2010-11

J

jilly21

hi there, i called halifax earlier on to pay my remaining balance in my cc and close the account, so the girl tells me its whatever i have spent, plus last years stamp duty(as apparenltky they charge in arrears) and this years even thou the acc is being closed...so an extra 60 euros, anyway im ok with payin last years bt not this year, she said i wud get a letter to exempt me from paying stamp duty on my other cc, bt thats my husbands cc with my name on it, so it wnt applapply as my hubby pays the stamp duty, plus he is also closing his halifax cc...im just wandering are they actually allowed to charge the stamp duty even though i wnt be using the cc

Unfortunately that is standard practice-I transfered my cc a few years ago & was charged Stamp duty for that present year, I advised my new cc provider & was not charged the following April. If it was the case you had not used your card then you would not be charged for 10/11
Remember it is a Government Stamp Duty charge not the Banks

Once a CC account is active after 1st April, then the Government Stamp Duty is payable for the year 2010/2011. As Monaghan said, if you were opening a new CC in your own name, you would not have to pay a 2nd time for the same year.