Half Rule (Hire Purchase)

jerry1

hi
I purchased a car with Friends First under hire purchase in 2007. I subsequently fell into arrears in 2009. I received Notice of Termination by post so i contacted the finance company to see if i could restructure the payments.They agreed to this.
I contacted them recently as i just cant manage the payments anymore, i asked them could i return the car under the half rule as i have met that mark by now. They said in not entitled to return the car under the half rule as they terminated the agreement in 2009. I cant understand this as they still quote the original agreement number on all correspondence. They also have stated all other terms and conditions still stand from the original, i never received a new agreement number.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Have a look at this thread .... Hire Purchase Cars ~ ruling in the High Court (27-07-2011) think they are incorrect to stop you using the 1/2 rule.

I mentioned this court case to friends first. They basically said this didn't apply to me as my agreement had been terminated.

Think they are wrong... I would suggest making a formal complaint to the head of complaints/customer services. This will get your complaint/issue reviewed at a higher level than the people who answer the phone.

Back