Hair curling thingy......help needed on what type to get

Yeager

Hi,

I want to get my g/friend a curler thing for her hair as part of her christmas present but don't know which one would be any good!

Its like a hair striagher type thing.....but makes curls (magic!)

Any advise from someone who has one and can advise on a good brand that works well would be appreciated

I'll spend about 50 quid or so.

cheers

You can use a GHD for both straightening and curling, best bet is to go to a hairdressers and ask them, I bought my own GHD in a Peter Marks and they advised me based on how thick my hair was etc... They were very good, there were different sizes available and they explained how to use them and all that. Its all in the technique for curling - theres an ad on telly at the moment that shows one and it does both straightening and curling.

GHD is great for straightening but no matter how many times I've tried I can't get it to curl my hair. I ended up getting a Babyliss curler for about €35 and it's great. Sometimes I use heated rollers but they take a bit of getting used to.

I bought a Babyliss Curler in Debenhams on Saturday for €31. It is for a xmas present - it looks like a good straightforward product. There were more expensive versions of it in the shop but the lady working there said the one I bought was a good reliable curler.

IME, every single woman that has brought up the subject, regards GHD as the must-have brand/option. The second most mentioned is probably Babyliss.

You can use a GHD for both straightening and curling, best bet is to go to a hairdressers and ask them, I bought my own GHD in a Peter Marks and they advised me based on how thick my hair was etc... They were very good, there were different sizes available and they explained how to use them and all that. Its all in the technique for curling - theres an ad on telly at the moment that shows one and it does both straightening and curling.

I doubt you will get a GHD in Peter Marks for €50. Try boots. I got my missus one in boots last christmas. It wasn't a GHD but done the same thing basically wet to dry.

Yeah think ill go with a not so expensive version as she has never had one before and it could be dumped in the corner for the next 11 months. Its only part of her present thats why the 50E is the budget.

Further research on the subject thaught me that the GHD's get very hot (hotter than other ones?) and can cause damage to the hair - I do not want to be responsible for that or it could get used on me.

Who would have ever thought it was so complicated!!

I doubt you will get a GHD in Peter Marks for €50. Try boots. I got my missus one in boots last christmas. It wasn't a GHD but done the same thing basically wet to dry.

A GHD is for straightening your hair not for drying it :)
Currently in boots there is a GHD purple gift set including GHD, hairdryer, mat, clips and rool-up bag for €199. Just giving an idea of price. GHD on its own i'm sure is nearly €100 if not over

Further research on the subject thaught me that the GHD's get very hot (hotter than other ones?)

That is why they are the best ones....its the heat that straightens the hair.

I think the one you're thinking of is the Babyliss You Curl. It's currently €59.98 in Argos (catalogue no: 442/5014). You can even see a demo of it in use at [broken link removed]. (I'm copying this from an Argos sale catalogue, in case anyone thinks I'm particularly devoted to this product, or something!)

In my own personal experience, I find Babyliss products to be really good, and also Braun for curling tongs. GHDs are indeed extremely hot - the only time I have ever experienced one of those was in a hairdresser's, and I honestly felt as though my hair was getting singed! Plus it didn't seem to make much difference anyways, as my hair started curling the next day.

Guys, you have to understand that the colour of this yoke is more important than how useful it is. It has to be PURPLE, got it? No point in buying something in Dunnes, she'll be ashamed to tell her friends about it, and when they ask her what she got for christmas she'll say nothing and change the subject. Net result is you'll be miserable for at least all of January.
I know these things, believe me. Logic doesn't have to come into it, it's all about what some effeminate little boy told her from the depths of some television show or in one of those pink magazines. Go down the street behind powerscourt town house in Dublin, where all the clothing wholesalers used to be, and look for a hairdressers place on the opposite side to the powerscourt house rear entrance. You can't miss it, smells like a toxic chemical factory and the inside looks like it was designed by someone who was using some even more toxic chemicals. (It's actually worth going inside just to see the decor, it's mind warping). A girlboy there will use some psuedo science to explain how good the purple one is as compared to the pink one, and you will be parted from 200 euro. You will also get some tubes of toxins that can be used with the PURPLE yoke.
Buy it and shut up about the price. You will be guaranteed a peaceful christmas.
At least I hope so, otherwise I have wasted 200 quid!

Last edited:
Guys, you have to understand that the colour of this yoke is more important than how useful it is. It has to be PURPLE, got it? No point in buying something in Dunnes, she'll be ashamed to tell her friends about it, and when they ask her what she got for christmas she'll say nothing and change the subject. Net result is you'll be miserable for at least all of January.
I know these things, believe me. Logic doesn't have to come into it, it's all about what some effeminate little boy told her from the depths of some television show or in one of those pink magazines. Go down the street behind powerscourt town house in Dublin, where all the clothing wholesalers used to be, and look for a hairdressers place on the opposite side to the powerscourt house rear entrance. You can't miss it, smells like a toxic chemical factory and the inside looks like it was designed by someone who was using some even more toxic chemicals. (It's actually worth going inside just to see the decor, it's mind warping). A girlboy there will use some psuedo science to explain how good the purple one is as compared to the pink one, and you will be parted from 200 euro. You will also get some tubes of toxins that can be used with the PURPLE yoke.
Buy it and shut up about the price. You will be guaranteed a peaceful christmas.
At least I hope so, otherwise I have wasted 200 quid!

I'm about to purchase the Purple gift set thing alright, hoping to bargain them down from €200 to around €180 as I can get it on the web for £147. I plan to use the "I want to buy in the ROI, but you need to meet me half way" line!

My other half bought me a non ghd once and I loved it. waste of money buying the real deal if you ask me as I only straighten/curl my hair for special occasions. Depends if the recipient is high maintenance or not. If money is tight stick to your budget because that extra 150 quid might come in handy to buy food/petrol/pay a bill and you would have wasted it on a stupid hair curling thing.

Back