Haggling Taxi Fares.

G

Gautama

Has anybody tried haggling taxi fares yet?

It costs me about €15 to get home from Dublin city centre by taxi. With so many taxi drivers complaining that they can't get a fare, and with so many taxis lined up in the evenings, I'm wondering if it's worth approaching a taxi driver and saying "Dundrum... €10?". If he say's "yes", then all's well. If he say's "no", then walk three metres to the taxi queued behind him.

There are good and bad things about this recession. Embrace the good things.

So try it, and get back to us.

Somehow I don't think it would work on a Saturday night, I certainly wouldnt try it when I'm waiting to get home, whilst freezing nicely.

That's one "no" then.

Will give it a try but... Dundrum... Luas 'til after midnight... I don't get taxis much.

It most definitely works and on a Saturday night as well. I have done it twice (from O'Connell bridge to Chapelizod), once on Saturday night and once during the week. Its usually around €13 or €14, depending on what time you get a cab; both times I offered a tenner and both times was accepted. Also, the second time, I had a passenger who was dropped off at IslandBridge so it was even better value!

I say go for it Gautama

Does the taxi driver still operate the meter and maybe stop it at the agreed price? Just wondering whether this could be effectively equivalent to agreeing the infamous 'cash price' with a tradesman?

The first guy left the meter on all the way, it read €13.20 when I got out, I didn't notice the meter the second time. I just handed him the tenner in both cases and out the door with me!

My PA is great for haggling on pre-booked jobs, usually pickup from or deliver to a train station. She never fails to get a €5 off the price.

The meter just tracks The National Maximum Taxi Fare which according to the regulator is just that – the maximum that can be charged. But at the same time they require that if the meter is not turned on that both parties must sign a prior written (waiver) agreement and than that a discount can be given at the discretion of the driver.

So if I intepret that right, not turning on the meter is against regulation unless you have a written agreement but the driver can agree to charge you only 10€ because he gives you a discount of whatever is on the meter over 10€.

I regulary get a taxi for a longer route and I always negoiate the price with base when I call. And there is never a problem.

Back