Habitual residence / block shed

Introuble83

I have a large block shed out my back garden approx 25sq meters . It’s built on boundary walls and has a metal roof . Insulated plasterboards and wired up etc. I am considering converting it to a usable bedroom / studio . This will not be for renting out will be for one of my older kids . Do habitual residence standards apply ? I know to rent it certain standards apply which I cannot meet. I would be looking to put in a small cheap kitchen , build a dry wall for separate bathroom with shower and toilet . Thanks

It looks like planning permission wasn't originally sought for this shed if it's built on a boundary wall. If you apply for retention, they will be conditions attached and one of them.will be it's to be used as shed/storage area only. In the meantime I can't see any issue with you turning it into habitual structure for one of your kids. It' only becomes an issue if you sell.

It looks like planning permission wasn't originally sought for this shed if it's built on a boundary wall. If you apply for retention, they will be conditions attached and one of them.will be it's to be used as shed/storage area only. In the meantime I can't see any issue with you turning it into habitual structure for one of your kids. It' only becomes an issue if you sell.
Thank you for the reply . It’s attached to a row of sheds for each house on the road . My only current problem is my neighbor has a kerosene boiler and tank in his and it stinks

I can't see, with kerosene fumes, how it would be suitable for anyone to occupy

. It' only becomes an issue if you sell.

Or if someone complains.

OP, it's not a great idea. The building regs on damp proofing, insulation, ventilation, etc. are all there for a good reason. It would likely cost a lot of money to bring this shed up to code.

Back