H&S rules in a public HSE building re toilets

PooAshes

I would like to enquire about health and safety law in a public HSE building where clinics are held

1 Should there be a toilet on all floors?
2 Can the HSE lock the doors to the corridor where the toilet is and insist that access to the toilets by service users has to be requested through an intercomm

It is also used by elderly if that makes a difference

Given that it appears legal for Pubs and restaurants to have a sign up saying 'Toilets are for patrons only' I suspect its perfectly legal to monitor who has access to toilets. I would imagine a HSE building would need even better monitoring. The same applies for your first question also. i.e. pubs/restaurants/shops dont have toilets on all floors.

I don't think there are any explicit H&S regulations about toilet access for clients. I guess that they are trying to balance customer needs with security issues. The intercom thing does seem a bit extreme, and reminds of the old 'An bhfuil cad agam dul amach' situations at school.

If you feel their security procedures are excessive, why not speak to a local manager. If this doesn't solve it, try the [broken link removed] service.

Back