Gym membership cancellation

JJ1982

Hi there

A quick question. I signed a years contract in a gym last january (yes one of those people!!) and pay by direct debit each month. i havent used it in about 2 motnhs now so i rang the gym yesterday and asked was there anyway out of this. I was told by the reception person that the rules had chancged and I was no longer tied into the 12 months and that i could come down and sign the contract and with one extra direct debit taken it would be efectively cancelled.

Had an email from the gym manager saying that he coudnt cancel my membership until the 12 months were up and to reinstate my direct debit with the bank if I had cancelled it. So i have expalined to him what happened and am awaitintg his response.

I know that initially i signed the 12 month contract and had they told me yesterday i had to stick by it then I would accept that and put on my tracsuit once or twce a week but now that i was told I could cancel, i dont want to. If I was to cancel my direct debit what could they do?

In my opinion you don't have much of a case here but to keep goodwill the manager may do something for you.

Usually gym membership is for 12 months initially and after the twelve months you can give the appropriate notice period.

If you cancel they would have to sue you to recover the balance owed. You could cancel and gamble that they won't sue you as the amount will be small (presumably €200 or so).

You could offer half what is owed now to get out of the contract.

Strictly speaking you are tied by the contract and if you cancel payment the gym are well within their right to issue proceedings against you.
As has been suggested they wont, not for the sake of a few hundred €. I'd be 99.9% sure they would not do that and in any event if they did you would get notice first and thus an opportunity to meet your contractual obligations.

In short if you are not going to use the gym cancel the DD...better off in your pocket than theirs.

Back