gym contract

merzie

my daughter joined a gym recently which was to be paid by direct debit at 50 euro a month. when joining she filled out a form giving her bank details. after a month she had enough and asked to cancel the direct debit but was told it could only be freezed for six months and the payments would continue as the contract was for twelve months. but she wasnt told this and never received a contract. does anyone know of any way out of this

This happen to me and few of my friends a few years ago. We were told you pay €30 per month and if you want to stop it you can for 6 months. That's all we were told and didn't ask anything else. We were told to sign a 'form' and thought nothing of it. Until we got bored with the gym and stopped going but the money was still taken from our account every month. What we were actually signing was a loan contract with some company in England. One of my friends went to a solicitor and he advised her to keep paying it because it would cost more to take it to court. We were gonna just stop paying but it would effect our credit rating too. So we just paid it every month and learned a hard lesson!

hi TILLYD

thanks for your reply. we will have to remember to always read the small print. ye your right legal fees would cost alot more. anyone else out there who is thinking of joining a gym check the contract out first before handing over your bank details. you could loose alot more pounds than you bargained for

Yes - it's always a good idea to read the terms & conditions of any agreement before signing it.

hi TILLYD

you could lose alot more pounds than you bargained for

As your daughter will have to continue with the payment she should make herself avail of the gym facilities for the rest of the year. Why let the gym have her money for nothing.

I let a freind use the gym in my name. I was never asked for ID and neither was she. She just signed in in my name. Maybe there's someone you might know that would get use out of it.

You should be clear about the direct debit firstly. The Direct Debit is an instruction to your bank, and should be cancelled by an instruction to your bank - not to the Gym. The Gym cannot prevent you from cancelling the Direct Debit

Cancelling your Direct Debit does not cancel the contract. But it dies give you the upper hand - they now have to come to you looking for money.

Look further on Direct Debit in

I let a freind use the gym in my name. I was never asked for ID and neither was she. She just signed in in my name. Maybe there's someone you might know that would get use out of it.

the gym my daughter is in has a photo come up when scanned in. but thats an idea maybe she can transfer the membership to a family member.

Back