Gym Contract cancellation question / advice

need2budget

hello people,
i have a question regarding my gymm contract. the question is regarding membership cancellation ,

the clause in the contract is

"the membership term is for an "initial minimum membership period" of 12 or 18 months, depending on the option you have chosen. During this period membership is non cancellable and non refundable.

following the "initial minimum membership period" membership shall automatically continue on a monthly basis. Should a member wish to terminate their contract after the "initial minimum membership period" they must fill in a cancellation request form and a minimum of 60 days notice and two direct debit payments are required.

this is the word for word clause in my contract.. my question is
can i send them a cancellation notice on month 10 of the contract to cancel my contract, thus giving them 60 days notice and two direct debits that brings me up to 12 months minimum membership?

this is really disgusting term in the contract alright, and im sorry that i didnt read the small print in more detail... however , we learn by our mistakes!

what do you think?

Re: GYM Contract question / advice

Looks incredibly similar to my own. The contract cannot be canceled during the initial membership period (period depends on what you committed to originally). My own experience on this was that I sent them written notice prior to the end of the 'initial membership period' informing them that I was giving them 60 days notice of cancellation (i.e. 60 days after the initial period). I actually got a nice letter back thanking me for abiding by the T's & C's. Anyway, shortly after the last payment was due to have been DD'd from my bank account, I checked online and discovered that the gym had actually canceled ALL payments from the date of my letter, about a month before the end of the initial period, and I still had use of the gym during my 60 days notice period.