Gym and Exercise class ideas

dieselhead

Hey all,

The gym I currently work at are having major cuts for the summer months in regards to their classes as the numbers are down so I need some ideas for fitness classes to bring in new people and hopefully keep my job! People do seem to want to be outside more so than exercising in the gym/hall/studio.

Currently we offer Circuit training, Spinning, Kettlebells, Boxercise, Aerobic, Zumba and Yoga.

Any ideas would be hugely appreciated no matter how off the wall they may be.

Thank You

My experience of gym workers is that they are too pushy in their approach for someone who just wants to get fit without all the necessary cut down on their habits or diet. Not saying you are of course (yes this is a general statement) but it would be nice not to hear the usual 'Alcohol will just set you back to the start, do cardiac every second day and do weights every other' type stuff. How about a nice hillwalk in the evening time for people to do at their leisure ? Take the opportunity to inform them of small changes over the long term.

How about a couch to crunches or some such catchy name for absolute beginners akin to the Couch to 5k app. Lots of people are intimidated by gyms and classes and it's a big effort to even go to a class. It's a horrible feeling that other people know all the exercises or routines if you don't.

I know lots of classes do beginners level in the various options but TRX, Kettlebells, Pilates etc don't mean anything to some people, and circuit training sounds like some sort of electrical torture. An introduction to the various exercises for total beginners, build up fitness from none to some. Sofa to so fit? (should I trademark that actually lol)

How about programs for people who prefer the outdoors to complement their outdoor activities? Like weights/circuits for runners/cyclists that they can fit in around their current training programs?

Most marathon programs call for the inclusion of cross training and/or weights work. Maybe time a 16 week program to build people up for the Dublin marathon or other similar events. Similarly, lots of people doing couch to 5k type programs, again circuits/weights would complement those.

The (so called 'adventure') multi-sport races are kicking off now as well and draw big numbers. Programs targetted at that audience might bring people in.

Depending on where you are located and taking some of the ideas above, you could organise a walking/hiking group? People enjoy being outdoors especially as the days are getting longer! I understand that this would probably take someone away from the gym environment and I have no idea where the insurance would be on that.

I agree with Elcato, gym workers can be pushy and the environment quite intimidating. I gave up gyms a long time ago and have embarked on my own fitness program which consists of zumba (I simply can not get enough of this), pilates, walking/hiking and hula hooping... yes, hula hooping. Not the normal hula hoop though, I use the weighted ones (2kg). Simply brilliant! Hula hoop class?

Mix up the days a bit. Don't say have one type of class Monday, one Tuesday and never rotate them. People's working hours might mean that they can only do one night a week and at least there is variety rather than the same thing every week.

An operation transformation type class? I know someone ( who is a dietician) who gave an OT class based on the food/diet side of things and it was very popular but I'd imagine if there was an exercise programme it would be popular too.

Also maybe a C25K training programme?

Why not approach your local slimming world / weight watchers class for new members? You could run a free or discounted session as a taster and then maybe sell an 8-10 week course for the summer period. People losing weight can be very self conscious about gyms and exercise, but if its a dedicated class for slimming club members it's a lot less mortifying!!

Back