Guy with a tractor charges €50 to rescue flood victims in Bandon: Lowest of Low!

roker

The flood seemed to bring out the community spirit in people to help. I really feel for people that have had their houses flooded, but friends of my wife had to pay a guy with a tractor presumably a farmer, €50 to rescue them from their flooded house in Bandon. How low can you get?

Re: The Lowest of the Low

Catholic priest?

As against that a bunch of people around Athlone were interviewed on the wireless and since the Army trucks have been withdrawn (anyone know why?), the local farmers are doing school, shopping and work runs with tractors and live-stock boxes. It sounded much more like the Ireland I grew up in.

When I saw the title of this thread, I automatically assumed that it was about the Public Service.

J Hegarty: farmers have tractors, this is probably the bad one of the bunch, they seem to be helping in Athlone.
I forgot about the priest and politicians.

I'm all for community spirit and maybe he's rescued many people for nothing initially.

He is doing a job that the state should be doing and presumable he's spending his time doing it and time is money, he's probably at a loss himself in livestock and feed and fields unplantable. Presumable no portion of the derisory 10 million is going to make it's way to him so he's just trying to make a living.

Don't you have to pay the Fire Brigade if they come to put out a fire in your house?

I suppose it makes some difference if he asked for the money before or after he rescued them.

I still think if it were me and even if I'd been rescuing people all day, I wouldn't ask for a single cent.

J Hegarty: farmers have tractors

Could have also been a contractor.

Ie. someone who makes a living renting out their tractor.

I would agree it was stingy if it was a farmer, but I would find it hard to criticise a contractor.

Could have also been a contractor.

Ie. someone who makes a living renting out their tractor.

I would agree it was stingy if it was a farmer, but I would find it hard to criticise a contractor.
If it was a con-tractor then they would have pretended to have a tractor, taken the money but not turned up with a real tractor...

I don't get the distinction here. Why should a farmer give his services for free and not a contractor?

I don't get the distinction here. Why should a farmer give his services for free and not a contractor?

Because most of their income comes in the form of hand-outs so they are really state employees?

As against that a bunch of people around Athlone were interviewed on the wireless and since the Army trucks have been withdrawn (anyone know why?),

Because conditions were considered too dangerous even for army trucks. Water was too deep to see where the road was.

If it was a con-tractor then they would have pretended to have a tractor, taken the money but not turned up with a real tractor...

Up to now i really liked tractors... but not any more.

Does that make me an extractor fan?