guy who bought my car wants money back

...........but 'caveat emptor' is no cooler of rage if you find yourself done out of 20K!!!

...........but 'caveat emptor' is no cooler of rage if you find yourself done out of 20K!!!

True, but anyone buying a car for that money should always go over it thoroughly, check it's history, etc etc....

What was wrong with it OP? Did you hide anything btw?

Hold on a second. I did not do any guy out of 20k. Car was only 2 years old and had high mileage. Purchaser bought car for 3-4k less than he would in garage. Surely that 3-4k is risk premium that you pay to dealer because you get warranty. Sold car because I do a lot of driving and manufacturer's warranty had just run out. Car had a few trips to garage for repairs under warranty. Car was driving fine. Do not want to take car back as ownership has been transferred to new owner and if I take it back I will be 3rd owner instead of first owner which I was. Buyer has been in touch and says he has had it checked out and it is something about injector pump. Car will not start. Not a dangerous problem like bits falling off. I have offered to make contribution towards repairs. How do I know that he will not present huge bill? How do I know mechanic who is looking at it has a clue what he is at? Should I get it repaired at garage of my choice? Money has gone to paying off balance of car loan.

In all fairness, the car was taken back to the garage a number of times and checked out fine according to a VW dealership. Was the problem now of the car not starting relating to the loss of power suspected by the owner?

I got rid of my Peugeot 307 because I suspected it was using too much petrol. Garage told me I was imagining it and nothing wrong. Traded in car. Got a car with smaller engine. Problem solved one way or another.

Quote from Consumer Connect
But the seller is still required to give you accurate and truthful information to any questions that you ask. There is no obligation on the private seller to offer up any information freely, so the key thing is to know which questions to ask in the first place.

Tut, tut, not nice. The OP clearly said in that post that he wasn't happy with the performance of the car but it had been checked out by the dealers and they could find no problem.

Very good detective work Jhegarty.

I must admit that I've taken a keen interest in this thread from the start. To be honest, when the OP said that he had "sold the car in good faith", I was somehow suspicious. Just call it a cyber hunch. The thread from January 2007, in my opinion, strengthens that hunch. To the OP I ask this: did you inform the buyer of your car of the concerns you raised in this forum 1 year ago? Were there any other issues you failed to inform him of? If so, then although the law may not implore you, you have a duty to reach an agreement with the buyer that may include compensation of some sort.

Have a 06 2.0L 140bhp VW Passat diesel. Have never been 100% happy with power output especially in lower gears.

I am still not happy with it as a friend of mine has the same car and to me there is a noticeable difference.

I sympathize with the buyer.

I sympathize with the buyer.

I sympathize with the seller and cannot believe he is making a contribution towards the cost of repairing the injectors! If the buyer didn't ask the correct questions and didn't get a qualified professional to look at the car then he took his chances; and on this occasion chance went against him.

I am still not convinced, from any evidence on this post, that the seller is under any obligation in this instance. I would be interested to know of any case law or legal precedent that would clarify this matter.

I am still not convinced, from any evidence on this post, that the seller is under any obligation in this instance. I would be interested to know of any case law or legal precedent that would clarify this matter.

The seller is, as far as I am aware, under no legal obligation. That is why I sympathize with the buyer, who forked out 20K for a car that obviously had a major defect. What worries me is the OP's post in this forum of 1 year ago, where he seeks advice on an issue with the car (assuming of course it's the same car he sold on). I remain dubious that the OP did not inform the seller of this issue. He himself says that the car "had a few trips to be repaired under warranty". I just don't think that the seller was fully informed about all of this. I agree, however, that it could be bad luck but we are talking about a 2006 Passat here. Not exactly a car that is well known for unreliability especially when so young.

Seller had no obligation whatsoever. It's a risk of buying privately. The upside being a lower price.

The op's concern on the car puzzles me however. The engine power is the same in every gear.

Eh, calm down on the witch hunt here.
For one thing, no-one has any idea if the OPs car in question is the same as the one Sherlock 'jhegarty' Holmes found.

Even if it was, the dealer found nothing wrong with it, so it basically got a 'clean bill of health' and thus there is nothing to tell a prospective buyer.

And lastly, to the buyer I say this... "Tough". You thought you saw a bargain, but may not be as much of a one as you wanted. Them's the risks of buying private.

Once bitten, twice shy. Lesson learned. Quit yer whining.

Just for the record the car in question is not the 06 passat I had trouble with. Traded in that a good while ago. Buyer is getting car fixed and I am making contribution towards repairs.