Gutters on neighbours extension/boundary

kibby

My neighbour has built a single storey extension, with an apex roof, to the rear of his house. He hasn't fitted the gutters yet, but when he does, the extension is so close to our boundary that the gutters (running parallel with the boundary) will be extending into my garden. Also, I won't be able to remove the slats from the slat-and-post-fence between us for repainting as the gutters will be right over them.

Are there any legal rights or planning guidelines for this which I might be able to point out to him?

You should point this out to your neighbour, because it would be unusual to do such work without approval. Boundaries infringements/encroachments should be avoided. If the neighbour required planning permission for extension (> 25 Sq m), then I would contact the Planning Office at your local County Council and allow a Planning Officer deal with the matter.

I doubt that he would be permitted to put gutters over your land without your permission.

The extension was planning exempt: does this mean I cannot involve the planning office if the gutters extend over the boundary?

The fact that something is planning exempt doesn't mean it doesn't have to comply with planning and building requirements, so I think you probably can involve the planning office if absolutely necessary.

Kibby

Even though the extension did not require planning permission as it is below 40 sq m and to the rear of the property I presume, your neighbour still requires a Certificate of compliance from and engineer to certify that it has been built correctly i.e meeting all the neccessary building regulations.

Back