Guinness leaving Dublin

shnaek

What do ye reckon about Guinness leaving St James' Gate? It'll be strange to be in the city without the smell of hops up there. It got me thinking about something Mr McWilliams mentioned in the past about the soft economy. When Dublin's hotels, pubs, brewery's etc. close up shop and leave, is Dublin to be left a city of houses and appartments? If so, why would tourists come to visit? And doesn't this affect a people's pride in their city? Or is St James' Gate that important to Dubs?

It's not 'leaving Dublin' exactly though is it - hasn't Clondalkin been mooted as a relocation?

I didn't think they were leaving at all
[broken link removed]

Diageo says the famous St James' Gate brewery in Dublin will be “upgraded and consolidated” and will produce Guinness primarily for the Irish and British markets.

What do ye reckon about Guinness leaving St James' Gate? It'll be strange to be in the city without the smell of hops up there.
On the flip side maybe I won't have to look at an industrial eyesore on my walk to work in years to come?
Not remotely important to me - I always just viewed it as a smelly industrial compound.
Seconded.

I was wondering why will they choose to move to Clondalkin rather than Poland or China?

Branding image, plus the fact that Ireland has plenty of ingredients water, plus the fact that large volumes of liquids like stout would be expensive to ship from the far east.

Branding image, plus the fact that Ireland has plenty of ingredients water
I'm just glad they didn't move to [broken link removed] so! There'd be aytin' and drinkin' in it then alright. Just that it'd be aytin' your insides!

Just let us be glad that diageo have enough confidence in us to invest so much money in Ireland....