Guilford UK, nearby sights & shopping?

patspost

Hi there,
I will be going to Guilford soom for a few days and I was wondering if there are any good shopping places / outlet centres nearby.
Not looking for anything specific, just looking around.
Also any interesting sights etc.

Tks

you could try the tourism website to search for things in the vicinity. Guildford has a good train link to London for all the shopping your heart could desire. In terms of shopping though - I can't think of anything in the vicinity like Bluewater in Kent on the other side of London, this link provides some names of places in Guildford for ...

Guilford is part of the Greater London urban sprawl commuter-belt and asaik it has few redeeming features.

You could visit Haslemere, Surrey which is a picturesque village. The Surrey countryside is beautiful anyway though you've missed the best of it. I'd say spend time in London..............

Guilford has little to recommend it from my limited experience of it ... buisness / office parks and a fairly dull looking town centre are all I can recall.

It's only just over 1/2 an hour from central london on the train - like the others that's really what I'd recommend.

I lived in Guildford for a year and at first glance it not great. However, if you are fond of walking, there is a fantastic choice of well-marked, public footpaths in and around the town through a variety of landscape including forests, open parkland, rivers and hillsides. Off the top of my head, the river has a good path and if you look at the map of the town on googlemaps, the big green area on the south-east side of the town is a big open common with nice views and walks. It's part of the 'North Downs Way'. We used to walk different parts of the NDW at weekends and almost any part of it is easy to access with free parking and good signage. Box hill at nearby Dorking is a nice spot for a walk. It has nice views over a nearby vinyard (they also do vinyard tours), one of the few in England.

[broken link removed]

Really, you'd be supprised that such nice scenery could be found 20 miles from central London.

I'd forgotten Dorking was nearby! Although it is in the fringes of the Greater London connurbation there are quite a few pretty villages in the area. I agree with Marie and with Fatphrog - you don't have to go far to find some of the prettiest countryside in the UK.

Not too much in the way of outlet shopping though...

It's as exciting as Milton Keynes - Ballina has more critical mass. Head into London loads to do for all the family. Good shopping. Sterling cheap too!

Tks folks for the suggestions, I think London is the place to go then.
Unfortunately it will be dark / night time so the nice walks mentioned won't be an option!.
Tks for taking the time to reply!.