GSD on a card that was never 'activated'?

S

stumbeline

I applied for a credit card with the PTSB in 2006. When it arrived I decided I didn’t want to use it so I never activated it (as it said I should in an accompanying letter). It has always been visible on my internet banking account but still has never been used.

This year I got charged stamp duty on the credit card. When I rang the bank to say I’d never activated it they said that the card has always been available for me to use and so the stamp duty is due. When I asked why I hadn’t been charged stamp duty any other year they said it was an oversight.

Anyone know if this is correct?

The citizens advice bureau states that:

If the credit card account is closed never having been used, no stamp duty is payable provided that you close the account in the same period as it was opened.

But is my credit card a ‘real’ card if I never activated it? Anyone know or can you point me in the right direction to find out?

Thanks

... If the credit card account is closed never having been used, no stamp duty is payable provided that you close the account in the same period as it was opened ...
It all seems very straightforward based on the above info.

Your card was never used
but
The corresponding account was open

Therefore GSD due.

But should the account have been opened if I didn't activate the card? Basically what I need to know is what the 'activation' step is all about? If the card was always 'available for me to use' why was there a need to activate it in the first place?

Its to do with the safety of the card. Assuming it was posted to you, you need to activate it so that the credit card company know you have received it safely. The account is opened once the card is issued, it has nothing to do with usage, how would they have issued the card if an account wasnt opened?

Okay looks like I'll have to pay my 30 euro so (before I get charge interest and late payment charges and I've maxed out a credit card I never bought anything with!).

PTSB do not use 'Card Activation' as such, the "activation" of the card in this case is the first time it is used.

Unfortunately though, whether the card is activated or not, the GSD rules mean that if the card is not closed then you are liable.

If you don't think you'll be using the card between now and April 2010, I'd suggest closing it so you don't have to pay another €30 next year!

There was a 'Stamp Duty Out' campaign being run by the Consumer's Association of Ireland but I'm not sure if this is still active. It really is an extra hassle that neither the customer or the card issuer needs!