Grrrr ATM machines

EvilDoctorK

So why oh why in this age of modern technology etc. is it not possible to design ATM machine software that knows what denominations it has "in stock" when it offers you the choices

How many time have I asked for say €40 on the first screen .... to then on the next screen be told it only has €50 notes

Surely it would save queues and not be rocket science to have some logic in the machine to display on the withdrawal screen only amounts that it actually can give you from the notes in stock

it's especially annoying when you're in a queue and the machine only has fifties and everyone has this problem thus doubling the time they spend at the ATM machine .....

On top of the fact that most shop assistants look at you as if you have 10 heads when you hand in a €50 note especially if it is only for something cheap. Regularly have to apologise and confirm that the machine only had 50s.

It is slightly more annoying to be asked 'Would you like a receipt?' to be followed shortly by 'We have no receipts'.

RainyDay said:
It is slightly more annoying to be asked 'Would you like a receipt?' to be followed shortly by 'We have no receipts'.

I find that extremely annoying. Every time I use a particular ATM, it never has receipts, yet you are always asked if you want one.

Yes, all very annoying, for standard ATM users. But what if you are blind or partially-sighted, and are used to all the options being there? Changes in the workflow can be difficult to cope with. It's easy for 'improvements' to break things in unforeseen ways, so the banks tend to be very conservative about making changes.

sueellen said:
On top of the fact that most shop assistants look at you as if you have 10 heads when you hand in a €50 note especially if it is only for something cheap. Regularly have to apologise and confirm that the machine only had 50s.

i couldn't care less, i'm handing them legal tender. Its their problem to have change for me. I love when they ask " have ya nothing smaller", say yes some time and watch the look on their face as you dont produce the smaller note

Ron Burgundy said:
i couldn't care less, i'm handing them legal tender. Its their problem to have change for me. I love when they ask " have ya nothing smaller", say yes some time and watch the look on their face as you dont produce the smaller note
When they have asked for something smaller and you have said no and they have given you your change try buying another small item and paying for it with another €50 note. When they ask for smaller change say you have none...

Purple said:
When they have asked for something smaller and you have said no and they have given you your change try buying another small item and paying for it with another €50 note. When they ask for smaller change say you have none...

Depending on some of the shop assistants these days that could be a very brave course of action .....

sueellen said:
Depending on some of the shop assistants these days that could be a very brave course of action .....
Be brave, pick the 14 year old girl or old person

Look it's bad enough that we are writing story lines for journos to borrow, but we do have to write the Naked Camera scripts too?

I agree, we are plumbing new depths? Where are the Mod's when you need them?

Purple said:
I agree, we are plumbing new depths? Where are the Mod's when you need them?

out handing €50 notes into shop assistants when they have a fiver in their pockets