Grout

B

bodum

I am removing tiles from the bathroom walls to get them replastered so they can be painted, but after removing the tiles I am left with the old grout which is very hard to get off.Is there an easier way of removing the grout rather than just scraping it off which is a very slow process?

Thanks.

I'm just doing the same thing with a bathroom. Lifting off the tiles brought in some places a coat of plaster with them, in other places the adhesive and plaster is still on the wall.

So I scraped back all the adhesive, used bonding to bring it all back to a common level, and then skim coated on a light coat to get the finish back to the original.

I didn't find any alternative to a good 3" hard scraper.

Just done a similar job in our kitchen and used a scraper that I bought in B&Q. Can't find the damn thing to give you the name, but it has a handle, light brass in colour, and a removeable blade about 2inches by 1/2 inch. Cost about £7 but is ace. The guy who did the decorating in our spare bedroom told me about it as it is brilliant and scraping paint off wood.

If I can find it inthe garage, which is jammed up with new kitchen appliances, I will post again with the name.

It is a "draw" scraper rather than a "push" scraper if you know what I mean.

hi, I am just removing grout as well and it is very very difficult. Is there no other way to do this?

Also, even if you do manage to remove lumps of grout, it often leaves a bit behind. Would this need to sanded down as flat as possible before bonding and skimming the wall?