Grout not cleaned off properly..porcelain tiles

serotoninsid

I had someone finish my tiling as I just couldnt get round to it - too much other stuff going on.

I had grouted a section - tedious but no problems - came up nice and clean. The lads that finishe my tiling have made a right mess of it by not cleaning off the grout properly.

Now I am left with expensive stained tiles. I've gone over them with a scrubbing brush and flash a few times but it doesnt seem to make any difference. The tiles are[broken link removed] - with a textured finish - which makes cleaning them even more challenging.

Is there something that I can apply to the tiles to lift this stuff off without damaging the tiles?

<EDIT> Just noticed this stuff -BAL Epoxy Grout Remover. Has anyone ever used it? Will it do the job?

Buy a couple of bottles of white vinegar, it's acidic and will remove any cement based finish- provided the excess grout is not overly thick. Just sponge on, scrub and rinse off with plenty of water. Polish with a dry cloth and you should have nice clean tiles, free of cement haze.

Thanks for that Carpenter. In the meantime, I picked up a bottle of HG Extra Grout Remover. Dropped by the house this evening and have applied it to a couple of tiles that are not conspicuous. I want to make sure that 1. it works and 2. it doesnt damage the tile.

Will call back tomorrow when its dried out to see results.

Just bear in mind it is phosphoric acid - i've used it myself and it's great, use rubber gloves.

quinno said:
Just bear in mind it is phosphoric acid - i've used it myself and it's great, use rubber gloves.
LOL. Just looked at my hands and they do look kind of shiny looking!

Will wear the gloves tomorrow.

Just looking for more detail on cleaning grout off tiles.

Is it feasible to try and use it all over a fully tiled bathroom? I'm just wondering if its sufficient to wipe it off with wet sponge after use or if it needs to be hosed off as that wouldn't be feasible on walls other than in the shower. Also, is the acid dangerous to use i.e. do you need to use mask etc as I couldn't be bothered going to all that trouble! Thanks.

We have the same problem except our grout was 'tile on timber' so thereis a rubber element as well as cement. Any suggestions? Drives me nuts! Will the product mentioned above work?

Toby said:
Is it feasible to try and use it all over a fully tiled bathroom? I'm just wondering if its sufficient to wipe it off with wet sponge after use or if it needs to be hosed off as that wouldn't be feasible on walls other than in the shower.
It is sufficient to wipe off with wet sponge - if you do it thoroughly. It can be deceiving when its wet - you think its clean. I'm not sure if the 'grout remover' that I used should be used on walls as such - but I did. Its more effective on floors as it stays put for the twenty minutes that you supposed to leave it for. By the way, why cant you rinse it off? I used a bucket & sponge to wipe it off.

Toby said:
Also, is the acid dangerous to use i.e. do you need to use mask etc as I couldn't be bothered going to all that trouble! Thanks.
Its no trouble - just a case of being careful. I was a little reckless and used it without gloves over a full day - by the end of the day my hands eventually were red and stinging - but wear a pair of gloves and theres no problem. I dont think theres any need for a mask - i'm fairly sure this was not suggested in the product instructions for use.

Thanks S, I can rinse the wall inside the shower but rinsing wouldn't really be possible in the rest of the bathroom cos water would go everywhere. Wiping will be fine though. Thanks.

Back