Group water scheme demanding money from wrong person

Moral Ethos

The local group water scheme have sent a solicitors letter to neighbour demanding €250 in "arrears". They do not at any point clarify what where this €250 is calculted from. Also the person they wrote to does not own the house, he merely lives there as a lodger.

Letter goes on to say if there is no payment in 10 days proceedings will be issued etc.

Now, would it be nessasary for the scheme to specify te exact nature of the alleged debt? Also would it be nessasary to prove a contract exists with the person named?

I have suggested he sends their solicitor a letter by return denying the debt and pointing out that he does not own the property. I suggested that he tells them in the letter that they make the appropiate enquries to estabhlish who is the property owner rather than assuming anything.

He feels that the he should not be made pay another persons debt. I agree with him.

Does he have any chance defending such an action?

A few things.

They would need to be able to prove the person named is liable. Without a signed service agreement they would be on sticky ground. They would also have to itemise the €250 they allege he owes.

Is the person related to the actual owner? I assume the believed that the person is the owner by some other means?

I would say that if the money is owed it should be paid once they clarify their position and if necessary bill the correct person. Now would the person need to reveal who the owner is or should he leave it up to the scheme owners to make their own enquiries? Any opinions?

Back