Group travel for a single fella

BCPK

Hey,
I'm looking for names of tour operators that organise travel groups. I'm a single guy and want to go on an adventure holiday but none of my mates can join me. Does anyone know of agents in dublin that organise tours for c 20 'independent' people?
Cheers
bcpk

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]#

Maybe not what you want but these guys do ready made tours. I went with them guys a few years back. The second link was the one I went with and I really enjoyed it. You meet up with a bunch of people and head off in a van and camp...great fun...pm me if you want any advice info.....

Have a chat with the people in www.adventurealternatives.com - they're based in belfast, but I know a lot of people in the south who've travelled with them over the past few years and praise them very highly.

They run quite unique group holidays for all age groups, but also have a charitable and ethical approach to their destinations.

www.gapadventures.com
www.intrepidtravel.com
www.explore.co.uk
www.onthegotours.com
www.exodus.co.uk

I have gone on tours with all of the above except Exodus (so I can't comment on them). They are all really good tour companies.

Gap & Intrepid are both excellent and do a range of great trips to South America, Africa & Asia; I was in Peru with Gap a few years ago and I went away singing their praises. There are a couple of potential downsides. The first is that you have to book your own flights seperately and that could cost more while Exodus & Explore offer optional flights (however I have seen instances where you could get your own flights cheaper). The other downside is that the standard of accommodation is lower than Exodus/Explore but it is still clean and facilities are of a reasonable standard but don't expect luxury but you certainly are not likely to wake up with cockroaches or anything crawling over the bed either; it all depends on your standards but personally I think it is all part of the cultural experience). Gap & Intrepid do offer "Comfort" tours which have more higher standards but you pay a lot more for it (also have "Basic" tours which is lower standard at a lower cost).

The other advantage with going with Gap or Intrepid is that they keep their groups small (usually 12 maximum), whereas the On The Go tour I went on had 38 people which was crazy and Explore had 23 people. It makes a hell of a difference as you get to know your fellow travellers really well.

In my opinion, a group tour is ideal if you are going solo particularly if you are short on time (as I always am due to work etc). In the past, I always was booking my own trips and itinerarys etc which is grand if you are off to tour USA, Canada etc but it is a lot more difficult if you are travelling to somewhere like South America or Asia and you only have a couple of weeks. For example I was in Vietnam a few months ago with Intrepid and out of interest, priced up the itinerary to see what it would cost to go under my own steam and I would have only saved about 10%. So the extra bit of cash would ensure a hassle free trip (you just turn up and let the Group Leader take it from there) and also it is a great way to meet fellow travellers particularly if you are going solo

I think by your post that you are in your early 20's; if that is the case you may be better avoiding Explore or Exodus as they are more geared towards an older clientele (by older I mean 30's+); you still will have a good trip but may not get as much out of it as if you went with one of the other tour companies I mentioned in the last post.

Back