Group isolation on "in-house" web site forums

thedaras

Would love to hear what others think, and suggestions as to how to proceed on the following scenario.

On a particular website ( in-house) as in, only members can log in,its for the students only.

Anyhow there are a few students in particular and one who seems to be the leader who are actively targeting another group.

For example they will organise a night out but specify that the other group are not invited.Obviously there are many groups ,ie the Arts students ,the law students etc who organise nights out,but they do not specify that a particular group are to be excluded.In most cases those who are on other courses wouldn't know anyone on other courses,so wouldn't go,but this is different,in that this group are targeting another group and isolating them.

Let me give another example..
If I were part of a yoga class,and someone else is part of the yoga and pill ates class and I organise a night out but I specify that only the pure yoga people are invited,but I say that I will let the yoga and running class join but no way are the yoga and pillates are to come.

Each and every time the group are mentioned it is in the negative and the undertone is one of,they are a lesser group than us,it can get quite nasty.
The group whom are being targeted did originally think this was just a bit of fun and slagging but now its escalating to being downright nasty.
These are first year students ,and I some of them are beginning to feel the brunt of this.
Should I do something,like talk to the college? Or should I just leave it and let the students themselves deal with it (even though, they are not dealing with it very well)?

talk to the college?

Definitely. Sounds like a strong case of bullying from someone with a very strong personality. Insist that the report is handled in a strictly confidential manner.

1st years can be loathe to complain because of the embarrasment angle. There's one strange character in my daughter's 1st year's college course and whilst they all mutter under their breath and amongst themselves none of them have addressed the problem to even discuss it with one of their tutors.

Thats what is happening amongst these first years,they hate the fact that they are being isolated,and targeted,and very publicly,but really are too immature /young/embarrassed to know how to handle it.

I see them steaming about it and actually embarrassed that they are on this course,both courses require the same amount of points,but they are now beginning to question the course they are doing as they are consistently told by this particular group that they are basically not doing a "pure" course.

No offence but they are college students. They are young but they are not kids. They need to learn how to deal with these things. If it was in the workplace, would you go talk to the boss? By all means, talk to and advise the students but dint fight the battle for them.

Sunny, I hear what you are saying and Yes, first year college students.
You are right of course, they are not kids ,and yes they do need to learn to deal with these things,which is what I have told some of them.

I've also told them not to raise to the bait.
I just don't know what is the best advice to give them at this stage,and its maddening to see a group being blatantly targeted,and feeling so undermined.

I'm just a bit nervous that some of them will take it personally and take it all to heart,even though they are in college they are vulnerable as its a whole new environment for them and some of them are not living at home any more,so can be all overwhelming,
And ok, they should be sorting it themselves but as a responsible adult who is aware of this issue,should I instigate it with the college that way ,no one will know who reported it and none of the group will have it on their heads..

Just Moderate the bejasus out of them. Give the lot of them a warning, tell them to cop themselves on, that ultimately you'll just have to ban them from the forum.

Forums aren't a democracy. Stick the boot in.

Look up Phoebe Prince.

Cyber bullying is one of the most cowardly forms of bullying in that the bully doesn't even have to directly confront his victim. If this is a college-driven website, the college has a responsibility to ensure it's properly moderated and that studnets are reasonably protected.

The students affected should seek to have their reasonable rights protected and they need to be assertive (i.e. neither passive nor aggressive) in their approach to the authorities and/or website providers.

Notwithstanding their relative youth, they're in the real world now and should be encouraged to deal with such issues themselves. Having a parent or "grown-up" intervene on their behalf would be as laughable as it would embarrassing.

Someone asked, if this was a workplace would you talk to the boss?

The answer should be yes, absolutely - if you see bullying you call it and get it addressed.

It'd be better coming from one of the students themselves, but perhaps you can give them the confidence to do so, knowing they won't be laughed at.

Someone asked, if this was a workplace would you talk to the boss?

The answer should be yes, absolutely - if you see bullying you call it and get it addressed.

I think the point being made was that in a work situation, the affected person would deal with the boss directly rather than having a parent do it for him and that by extension therefore, the same logic should apply to students.

Back