Grount rent query

margot

What is the point of a Statutory Declaration re non-demand of Ground Rent? Does ground rent become statute barred if not demanded for a certain length of time? - i.e. is a landlord prohibited from suddenly demanding back rent after 20 years of never asking for it?

demands for ground rent statute barred after six years. Statutory Declaration is the usual way of porving such facts. It is an offence to make a false declaration, so read it first.

Thanks.

So lets say (for example) that I own a leasehold property and I have never received any demands for ground rent, and my predecessor in title made a declaration when I purchased that they had never received any demands.

Can the freeholder now claim arrears of ground rent? Or are they statue barred?

Is the situation made any different if I had breached the conditions of the lease?

So lets say (for example) that I own a leasehold property and I have never received any demands for ground rent, and my predecessor in title made a declaration when I purchased that they had never received any demands.

Can the freeholder now claim arrears of ground rent? Or are they statue barred?

They can go back 6 years from now..no more

Is the situation made any different if I had breached the conditions of the lease?

No but the landlord may have other rights based on your breach. Can you be more specific?

Back