Grinds

Have a look at http://www.irish-grinds.com/.

From a quick inspection there seems to be a range of €20-30/hour.

Seems terribly cheap to me - I wouldn't want a plumber who could only command that price working on my house so I'm not sure I'd entrust my academic future likewise.

No, this would be the going rate.

I am a third-level economics lecturer, with 6 years teaching experience. I would have charged 40 euro last year for a 2-hr grind.

But I am aiming for 45-50 this summer for a 2-hr grind.

I know many teachers doing 2nd-level grinds at 28-30 per hour.

I guess that those charge the lower rates are probably not declaring this income for tax :mad:

Perhaps true, RainyDay.

However, you will be happy to know that due to a discussion with the Revenue on a different issue, I am now paying income tax on my tiny grinds income.

AND I still charge less than 25 an hour.

Protocol,

Sounds more like a charity operation at those rates.

Until teachers respect themselves a bit more - and by that I mean charge the sort of hourly rates for casual jobs that people with equivalent qualifications do - they'll never get the respect of the public (and consequent reward levels).

Oysterman, to tell you the truth, I love talking about and explaining economics, so I consider grinds as relatively easy work.

Also, I don't like being greedy, and do not agree with consultants, solicitors, floor fitters, etc. earning rates like 50 - 100 per hour.

Mind you, a Skoda garage charged me 78 for an hour's labour yesterday, so I am actually going to ask for 50 for a 2-hr grind tomorrow.

oysterman said:
Protocol,

Sounds more like a charity operation at those rates.

Until teachers respect themselves a bit more - and by that I mean charge the sort of hourly rates for casual jobs that people with equivalent qualifications do - they'll never get the respect of the public (and consequent reward levels).

Oysterman - can't understand where you are coming from here...... who are you comparing teachers to? Are you taking into account the number of hours worked by teachers? Are you taking into account their holidays?

Roy

I would have thought that holidays, hours worked etc. are red herrings when it comes to striking a rate for a marginal hour worked.

I presume that all teachers are qualified to post-graduate level (like physicians and lawyers are).

Throw a few years of experience on top of that and I fail to see why teachers don't charge at the sort of rates that lawyers and physicians do - for an incremental hour worked.

Don't forget that doctors, lawyers etc have overheads-including employees, rent or repayments on a building, heating, light, postage, insurance ( lots of it), and so on and so on. We couldnt run a business on the rates you charge. But you don't have those kind of overheads- its the profit margin thats relevant.

That's precisely why I am referring to pricing a marginal hour's work. In other words, I'm assuming that the insurance, office space and other overheads have been covered. The question is: what is one extra hour of your time worth?

If you're asking me, the answer sadly is that I don't know. However come year end, I'm sure my accountants will have something to say about it.

Back