Griffith's Valuation maps - can they be purchased?

Bluebean

Hello,

I am looking to buy a map of a particular area/parish that was covered under Griffith's Valuation.
Does anyone know whether the Valuations office may sell copies of these old maps? Or where else could I try? I've looked online but have yet to come up with anything solid.

thanks.

This was about the 4th result returned by a . Is it of any use?

Hi Clubman, I spotted that alright but doesn't say whether you can buy the scanned images or not.... I'm hoping to get it as a gift for an older person, and would love to be able to spread out the map in paper and pore over it.

I will ring the Valation's office and see what they can tell me.

thanks.

The Ordinance Survey Maps for 1840 and 1890 are available on line in many public li braries and sections can be printed off at 12 cents per photocopy. The print quality is not great but if you can identify the section of interest I believe you can order a good copy. I have found this facility very informative and useful in tracing the developments in an area from pre famine times to the present. What I find extrordinary is the accuracy of the early maps done without the equiptment available to modern surveyors
I have been informed that the facility is very little used , presumably because it is not known about.

hmm, those 1840 and 1890 maps might good - any idea if I'd need to go to the main Public Library in the particular county I am looking for, or whether I could order from another county?

hmm, those 1840 and 1890 maps might good - any idea if I'd need to go to the main Public Library in the particular county I am looking for, or whether I could order from another county?

The maps cover all Ireland. While they were originally only available in main libraries it was extended to my local branch in Waterford a couple of months ago and presumably will be extended to all libaries with computer set up.
It is provided through a special link to the Ordinance Survey Office and an official came down to set it up in my local branch . It is referred to as the OSI historic map web site.