Grey structures on M50 - anyone know what they are?

sam h

Travelling over the M50 today & I noticed a fair number of grey metal structures along the M50. The first one I saw a few weeks ago went all the way over & I assumed it was a pedistrian crossing, but now there are a fair number, most don't go all the way over. They look similar to the ones down at the Toll Bridge....but I assume (hope!!) they don't plan on tolling us for every KM we travel.

Anyone any idea what they are & why they are there? Could they be for speed cameras?

Also, any idea when the northside section of the M50 will have the 60km/h will be raised?

Doh - sign post!! I guess I'm used to them being tuck in behind a bush just at the junction. They look like pretty solid structures just for sign posts.

I agree about the 60km/h - in fact, I reckon it's so low it is dangerous. I had a mattress on top of the car one day (guess who's been to Ikea!!) & I had to travel at 50/60km/h and I had a stream of cars behind beeping.

It's a construction zone. I wouldn't fancy going much faster with all that building going on. All it takes is a pipe or something to fall off a truck during unloading and you have a pile up.
What are the gardai doing about it? Nothing. Blind eye etc.

Or, more evil, it could be the "average " speed camera that are in the UK. They record your plate number, and see how quickly to reach the next camera. The computer calculates your average speed and your busted! Can work over long stretches of road, and would be a real cash earner!

and a life saver

have there been any deaths on the M50 as a result of speeding (at 70-80km/h) through the roadworks? 70-80km/hr would seem pretty safe across most of it. Haven't really travelled it that much but enough to see 3 excellent lanes of carriageway which will make travelling that route significantly better than in the past. A 60 km/hr limit would seem a tad slow in my opinion and could encourage people to go even faster than 70-80 in order to move through the traffic.
The 60 km limit were it strictly enforced would probably lead to bumper to bumper traffic moving at that speed which could lead to even more hazardous driving conditions as less restricted traffic tends to be more spread out and less likely to backend the vehicle in front.