Green patch on sony tv screen

snowdrop

I'm hoping someone can explain whats happening with our tv and that its fixable.

We have a six or seven year old Sony TV (its a 32" if that makes a difference). Just this evening we noticed a luminescent green section on the top left of the screen - currently covering around 1/8th or so of the screen.

Anyone know what this is and is it fatal?

Diagnosis much appreciated.

I presume that it's a CRT TV and not a plasma/LCD etc.? No chance that you have moved something with an electromagnetic field (e.g. an unshielded hi-fi speaker etc.) nearby recently?

Yeah, as Clubman has said, make sure you haven't put any unshielded speakers nearby.

If not, do you ever turn TV off at the power button (NOT standby)? If you only use standby, then turn power off at the button for 10 minutes or so, and then plug it back in, which should make the degauss circuit demagnetise the tube.

If these fail, it's most likely a fault has developed. Could be the tube itself is snookered, or if you're lucky it could be an internal component. Of course, if the tube is faulty, the telly will be a write off.

discolouration usually indicates that the tube is going. There's no remedy for that. The magnetic field from another electrical device is also a valid possibilty. But if nothing surrounding the T.V has changed it's most likely the tube is shot.

could be as advised above, i remember on an old mitsubishi tv the remote had a 'degaussing'? button that helped with this, maybe there's one on your remote?
however not long afterwards the tube went so i'd say you'll probably have to keep an eye out at the january sales for a new one.

Thanks to everyone for their replies. Nothing has changed in terms of positions etc so must be that the cathode ray tube is going.

When did six or seven years old mean something is obsolete? This was a pricey tv at the time. I'm getting so fed up of lack of quality. The only exceptions are my vacuum cleaners; my hoover aquamaster is 17 yrs old and going strong any my five year old dyson ditto,

Same thing happen to my TV after i had watched too much rugby or snooker..

It's just bad luck. Some can last longer, some less so.

To be fair, there's more components to fail inside a television than in a vacuum cleaner.