Green Party & the Justice Bill

Sunny

Can anyone explain to me what the Green Party was hoping to achieve my last nights publicity stunt of abstaining in the Seanad? If the party has problems with the bill and Dermot Ahearn like Dan Boyle claims, why didn't the Green TD's vote against it in the Dail? Do they really think stunts like this will make people think that it's great having the Greens around in Government to stand up to FF. They must really think voters are stupid if they do. They are going exactly the way that the PD's did by making small meaningless gestures to show their independence from FF instead of standing up for their principles and beliefs in any meaningful way that would show that they are not just there to enjoy the perks of office.

They are going exactly the way that the PD's did by making small meaningless gestures to show their independence from FF instead of standing up for their principles and beliefs in any meaningful way that would show that they are not there to enjoy the perks of office.

Speaking of meangless gestures, their Education spokesperson (Paul Gogorty) resigned for that position in protest but stayed on as head of a committee for education. Wasn't principled enough to give up the 20K.

It seems crazy to me that TD's, senators etc can abstain at all. Surely they should have the bottle to stand up for their beliefs and voice their opinions, after all that's (in theory) why they're in there!

What for a meaningless gesture this is.

Zanu FF is moving us more towards a totalitarian state by taking away the most basic rights for accused people.

Never mind that this new measurements are supposed to be used against gang land criminals. If you take the UK for example, you just needed to watch a nice program on More4 yesterday to see how the Serious Crime Act there is now used against people who do peaceful demonstrations.

Abstaining if you have problems with the bill is not the right way, you should vote No.

They just did abstain because our fearless leader tells us that this is a good bill and the greens want to keep seen to continue to support the unelected government.

Democracy is dead and soon the new powers of “expert opinion” are going to be used against more than just gang land criminals.

Only after they take away our freedom we are going to notice what we had.

Back