Great theatre - Pals the Irish at Galliopli

Brendan Burgess

Founder
[broken link removed]

I am not a big theatre fan but I went to see this yesterday in Collins Barracks. It's well worth going to. The actors use the setting of Collins Barracks to bring the full story of Irish people fighting in World War I to life. It's very moving.

It lasts only 45 minutes and it costs €5 to attend. You need to book well in advance, as I think that they only take 10 visitors to each performance.

I had seen Anu Productions in the Lockout Play in Henrietta Street which was also very very good.

Brendan

Not into theatre myself either, so I may not attend.

I visited some WW1 memorials in Belgium last year. There are many Irish names on the headstones. I saw quite a range, from the first days of the war to the last days, including shot at dawn and aged 17 to 40's. Excellent museum in Ypres. Beautiful countryside there and surreal to see and touch shells the farmers leave for collection at roadside. The Peace Park at Messines is very good http://www.greatwar.co.uk/ypres-salient/memorial-island-of-ireland-peace-park.htm

I must go and visit the memorial at Islandbridge. I looked through the memorial at Glasnevin a few years back. There is a small memorial in Heuston Station on the wall at Platform 2, which most passengers would not see unless they were boarding at that platform.

Back