Great bargains in Lidl

A.Partridge

Just a note to say that there are some great gardening equipment buys in Lidl at the moment, for example:

• Garden Forks and Garden Spedes €12 each
  • Extendable branch loppers €6
  • Lawn Seed Spreader €12
and lots of other stuff. BTW, all of it seems to be pretty ok quality. Please note that I have no connection whatsoever with Lidl but am just stony broke at the moment and was grateful that I could buy all my garden equipment for under €50.

Tesco are selling many of the same products at just as good prices. Note that the lawn spreader has no switch to stop the flow up at the handle so you have to bend down very quickly to turn off the supply.

Didn't know about Tesco prices - that's useful. I used the lawn spreader all through the weekend and found it to be just ideal. When I wanted to stop I just lifted it to the next position (as it is so light) and started pushing again. No problems and very even spread.

I bought the fork from Lidl about 4 years ago and dumped it because the steel was so soft that it was useless for digging. They might have changed the quality since then.

They must have, because the fork I used at the weekend struck many large stones (boulders would be more precise) and the fork did not warp or bend at all. I also used the spade to prise out other rocks and it too was very robust. I was quite surprised as I didnt expect the quality would be any good. Nice surprise.

Good to hear. I bought the spade as well , with the fork about 4 years ago, and it's still doing it's job. When being to Lidl a few days ago all the shovels where sold out, their shiny blades must have made a huge impression on those who usually took only a sixpack (smiley).

Yeah bought one there the last time they had one. Works well the times I've used it. It is a pity they don't sell a chainsaw helmet with it and if I was going to do a lot of work with it I'd invest in a pair of chainsaw trousers. A chainsaw will do serious damage to you in an instant.

Has anybody tried their Hobby Greenhouses? are they pretty sturdy? or are they really useful?
I don't really know anything about gardening having lived in gardenless flats for the last 10 years but will soon (touchwood) be buying a house with a nice (but northfacing) garden and hope to have a little vegtable patch along with some flowers. Does anyone thing the little greenhouse would be useful?
Cheers,

Gnash

KS1 said:
Whats the difference between normal pants and chainsaw pants

Chainsaw [broken link removed] have layers of protection. Something my father could have done with a few years back when the log he was cutting moved and he the saw went part way through his knee cap!!

See this link for the [broken link removed]
Leo

Hi Gnash,

This previous thread on Greenhouses might be of interest.

I notice also do some small greenhouses.

HTH.

Sueellen.

Thanks Sueellen,

For 19.99 I can't go too far wrong anyway so I'll see if I can pick one up this weekend,

Gnash

KS1 said:
Whats the difference between normal pants and chainsaw pants

"Chainsaw pants" are have an infill of Kevlar fibre- if the chainsaw blade comes in contact with the trousers the Kevlar fibre fouls up the blade and brings it to a halt.