Greasy windscreen

car

I recently bough a SH car, the wipers are in good nick but the windscreen looks "greasy" so that the wipers arent doing their job properly. This isnt too bad in the wet but its really bad now in the mornings. Any ideas what this could be and how to fix? cant seem to find anything googling..

A bit of methylated spirits or white vinegar on a cloth should remove any grease smears.

Have you tried googling in google groups? I got a four or five interesting hits [broken link removed].

Many posters blame the wax that some car washes put on cars.

A bit of Coke (the Cola) followed by water can help. Scary the stuff it can do.

Have you tried googling in google groups? I got a four or five interesting hits [broken link removed].

Many posters blame the wax that some car washes put on cars.

My daughter had her car waxed, yesterday as it happens, and the windscreen was covered in the stuff. Rubber trims etc. were white!:eek: Other half used methylated spirits as Carpenter suggested. Worked a treat.

Also run a cloth soaked in vinegar along the wiper blades. That should clear any greasy residue off the wipers. It will also help for a time when you use the wipers.

found a couple of suggestions last night which seem to have done trick. It was like kind of greasy film on the screen that held on to damp. Until I had the windows heated in the morning it was difficult to see through.
Anyway, suggestion was to wipe down with a vinegar soaked cloth, then get a lather using lemon washing up liquid and leave for a while. Used both and cleaned off with paper, no greasy stuff on window this morning. happy days!

It happens to cars when parked under or near trees. Sap in the summer and decaying leaves in autumn stain the windows and bodywork. This can really damage the exterior over time. Acid is one way to remover the grease from the windows.

Do you park near or under trees?

Back