Grass Seed

Just the One

I sprayed some Lawn weed and feed on my lawn the other day and it has created big black spots in the garden - obviously, it has done its job and killed the weeds. However, I now have to get it to green up. Is there a right/wrong time to plant grass seed?

Is there anything else I should be putting on it.

I would love a nice green lawn like on those tv ads but I seriously doubt that will ever happen as it mostly weeds, moss and cheap grass seed the builders would have put down a few years ago.

Way too dry to grow now, seed doesn't have a hope. There should have been instructions on the seed, but you can generally seed grass at any time during the growing season (March-September).
Leo

Hi Leo, I'm in the same boat with a 2x20 ft bare strip having killed off the weeds. There are no instructions of the packet of coated seeds. Are you saying it is too dry to seed now - even though this is the growing season?

I was thinking of watering the bare area and then sprinkling it with a fine soil before scattering the seeds. Is there any chance this might work? If I leave it I expect the weeds will just come back. Thanks for any advice.

try and get some organic matter into the ground, if you can get any farm or horse manure if not get a couple bags of peat moss and spread or rake it into the ground, keep the ground wartered,

This time of year is great for sowing grass seed provided we recieve the rain to germinate it.
Keep an eye on the 5 day forecast, sow the grass seed 1 to 2 days before rain is due.

Member "Just the One", I always try and overseed a lawn at the end of the mowing season.
In this way, the seed does not suffer the vacuum effect of the mower.
If you overseed now, remember to raise the mowers cutting height to reduce the suck.

Here in the mild, mild west you could sow grass seed in winter and expect a good return.

Grass just isn't groing now, even well established grass is struggling. You'd have to be watering regularly to stop it drying out and dying. the seeds need moist conditions to germinate.

BBC recommend that you should water enough to saturate the top 10-15cm of soil. That's a lot of water in these conditions. I'd wait for the inevitable turn in the weather. Early Autumn is supposed to be the ideal time to sow a lawn.
Leo

Our new house will be ready in about 3 weeks. The back garden was seeded a few weeks ago but due to the dry weather hasn't grown at all. I assume we'll have to re-seed it?

Back