Grass Seed & Advice

InfoSeeker

Hi,

I know there are previous threads on this and that early spring is a good time to plant grass seed.

I am a total novice and rather than reply on gardening books would like other peoples advice based on personal experience.

Moving into new house shortly and back garden is approx 25yrds wide by 35yrds long.

It was all dug up for biocycle, etc so now it is earth and stones; this weekend starting the back breaking jobs of removing the stones and raking it.

When this is completed what type of grass seed should I plant or are they all the same? As stated above I have no clue.

Also should I keep the stones as in the centre of the garden part of the biocycle is sticking its ugly head into the air, ie about 3 inches and there is about 1ft of piping; could I use these small to build a rockery around this area and cover in earth, etc.......though it might look weird in the centre of the garden:eek:

Any advice from those with green fingers greatly appreciated from one with computer fingers!!

Hi Infr seeker.....if you look at the graphic on the biocycle web site, you will see that the top of the tank is still exposed but they have mulched around it & planted a few shrubs. I'm not sure if biocycle recommend that you cover it over... you might nest check back with them directly.

On the grass seed... I am not an expert either but my only advice is that you you high quality grass seed... go talk to someone in a garden centre..... there are different kinds of seed available depending upon the type of garden or lawn you want......an as such within that there are different grades. I put down good see in the past & the lawn camon well.. After some wear & tear + scorching etc I used alow grade seed & a diff type of 'stalky' grass came up...it was fairly ugly.
ninsaga

My neighbour and I planted our lawns at the same time 8 years ago. We each used a different type of seed. He has to mow his lawn twice as often as I do to keep a similar height. From this I presume there are different rates of growth for different seeds. His grass has a broader blade than mine.

Use a #2 grass seed certified by the Dept of Agriculture. This is what landscapers use.

Lidl had good value seed last year which I used , lawn looks fine , Garden Centres can be very overpriced .
You get what you pay for ..... is not necessarily true .
pjq

Edit - just saw this [broken link removed]

Back