Grant for Geothermal heatpumps halved

lfcjfc

Just been directed to the SEI website to an announcement that the SEI grant for installation of geo heat pumps has been slashed by half for applications after 3rd Sept.

Does anybody know the background/reason for this decision - is it a vote of no-confidence in these systems?

I guess it pushes me closer to making my mind up on heating system for new build.

just a typical irish response to an accepted premise...

see here for an opinion:
[broken link removed]

heres a segment of this opinion.
The climate damaging emissions caused by electrical heat pumps do not justify their support. At their best- at 35degrees C flow and 28 degrees C return temperature- electrical heat pumps emit 35% less CO2 emissions compared to a condensing boiler. A bio fuel boiler emits 85% less CO2 compared to a condensing boiler.
The CO2 emissions, used by the German. Dep. of Environment, are based on the usage of electricity from the grit. Germany’s metered kWh causes 627 g of CO emissions. Only Ireland (!), Greece and Denmark as well as some Easter European Countries are worse.
Only electric Geothermal Heat Pumps –the real Mc Coy with a min. borehole depth of 100 meters- are still supported.

it must also be noted that whilst using a geothermal system would give you a better Building Energy Rating, it gives you a much worse carbon dioxide emissions than say a woodpellet burner.... mainly because they run from the grid which is fairly unefficient and running on solid fuels....

Be interesting to see if suppliers revise their prices downwards in response to this move.

Folks,

When is the dead line for the first phase of the grant, I paid my deposit in April, heat pump has arrived, spend last weekend digging collector area, installer is coming Friday to lay pipes. I'm concerned that after all my efforts my grant may be halved. Does the job have to be completed before the deadline?

Folks,

When is the dead line for the first phase of the grant, I paid my deposit in April, heat pump has arrived, spend last weekend digging collector area, installer is coming Friday to lay pipes. I'm concerned that after all my efforts my grant may be halved. Does the job have to be completed before the deadline?

Its all explained here joe.

[broken link removed]

€3000 off your wood pellet boiler still isn't bad. Watch the price of them come down now.

Back