Grant aid for college in Britain

trawbhui

I have a daughter who intends starting university in England next year. She is currently doing a PLC course in Ireland and did not qualify for a maintenance grant. Does anybody know if a similar grant system applies in Britain. Thanks in advance.

If it's the same as when I was in college in the UK in the 90s, you would apply to your local council here for a grant in the same way as you would if she were going to college here. So if she's not eligible here, the bad news is she won't get anything for going over there. Might be worth gving citizens information a call on 1890 777 121 to clarify.

It's worth looking into scholarships as there are often more of them out there than you'd think. Other than that the only thing is the UK student loan which she would be entitled to apply for, which she would pay back after graduating.

She won't be able to apply for a UK student loan for maintenance until she has been resident for 3 years; however as an EU national she will be able to get a loan to pay tutition fees. Some universities pay bursaries, some apply restrictions - it varies from University to University.

You can apply for a student maintenance grant here; but it is subject to means test, you'll find information from your local Co.Co

No tutition fees in Scotland which is great.

More info here on Scotland
and here for Student finances in UK

Folks, Thank you for that. I expected that there would be no joy but Scotland is something to look into. Appreciate your responses.

Back