Granny flat - limerick - recommend imaginative architect please

S

samhain

We have an average three bed semi with a garage conversion. It was built in the fifties so the attic is suitable for conversion. The garage conversion was not done properly and will have to go - steps everywhere, roof leaking etc. Last week we had a meeting with the city council and have cleared with them what size of extension they would be happy with. We have to keep with the line of the houses and are allowed to go back 7 meters into the garden. We can also go up over the garage part and put in windows so long as they are not main bedroom ones ie landing or bathroom windows are fine.

So now we are looking for someone to design it for us. My mother has just been diagnosed with cancer in the last few weeks and told yesterday that she will never walk again so I have been thinking that maybe we should give them the whole of the downstairs but I don't know how that would work since the kitchen is there and the kids and dogs will want access to the garden. Or maybe we should give them the main stairs with one of them stair lifts and put in a spiral for ourselves someplace else? We would want to be able to convert the house back into one unit when the time comes that they no longer need it.

I am hoping someone could recommend an architect or similar who might have a bit of imagination and could come up with a solution for us that will be suitable for both my parents and our family to live together.

Thanks

Back